Discuss Led lights = less electricians in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Was speaking to a manufacturer of LED lights ( though like everything else made in Far East ) who told me the next step in LED lights is a modular system
Apparently a 2 core cable is run round a building back to a central point and lights can be added ,taken out ,moved etc without physical connecting

The lights have a lead which loops over said 2 core cable and that's it can be done by anyone

Has anyone else heard of this new technology ?
What with LED lights set to be the standard in domestic as well ( already nearly is in commercial )
I can see it being another way of de skilling of the electrical trade

if your worried about deskilling, be the guy who designs, services and commissions the system rather than the one who installs it

its happening in every industry, its called compartmentilisation and systemisation, basically it started in food franchises like macdonalds etc now its spread

it enables a company to employ just about any fool to carry out the task, with minimal training which in turn minimises pay and wages, thus increases profits

at no other time is it more important to educate yourself properly so your not just a monkey robot on a minimum wage

minimum wage will soon become the maximum wage for most people

welchyboy has hit the nail on the head.
off site modular assembly is nothing new.
it cuts down the skilled element off the job and lets the "installer" plug and play and pretend to be an electrician.its nothing to do with tight project times and all the other guff that seems to be bandied about by these outfits.
its a plan to get their biggest cost down which is wages.
as i say its nothing new its been about for decades and it rarely works.
what happens 20 years down the line and the makers of these plug and play systems are long gone?
you can't get parts for the obsolete systems and have to resort to the traditional methods of today that what.

Well,you can either smash the looms up,or be a loom expert....

If Shawshank has only taught us one thing...it's "get busy living" :icon12:

Even if this fancy new system did become the only system to be installed, I can't see everyone suddenly wanting their old installation ripped out and replaced with what's essentially extension leads. I'd like to think I've got another 30 years or working left, and I've seen a lot of 30 year old installations which are perfectly serviceable.
I reckon you'd need to save a lot on labour to cover the additional cost of materials, and the way things are going, with minimum wage going up but sparks wages staying the same, the system won't be financially viable.

I do that now with moduals and gregs you still need to be an electrician to run your cables and there is plenty of diy electricians out there anyway. don'tlet it get to you.

Was speaking to a manufacturer of LED lights ( though like everything else made in Far East ) who told me the next step in LED lights is a modular system
Apparently a 2 core cable is run round a building back to a central point and lights can be added ,taken out ,moved etc without physical connecting

The lights have a lead which loops over said 2 core cable and that's it can be done by anyone

Has anyone else heard of this new technology ?
What with LED lights set to be the standard in domestic as well ( already nearly is in commercial )
I can see it being another way of de skilling of the electrical trade

Bulls**t trying to baffle brains mate. Why are you listening to a company sales rep??

Just think about the restrictions such a system would introduce to an installation. We've had modular systems come and go since the the late 70's, none of them were worth a lite and why they aren't still with us. yet every few years, along comes another system that are destined to go down the same path... into obscurity!! lol!!

Reply to Led lights = less electricians in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net