Discuss LED Panels - fire rating and fire hoods in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, i am looking for other opinion's and experience of fire hoods on LED panels within fire rated suspended ceilings. I have spoken to distributors and some say they have glow test reports for the LED fixture its self and they don't require them, but the building control officer says it should have them regardless, and generally what he says go's to get sign off. I am waiting of come back form some suppliers/manufacturers but i don't seem to be able to get clarity on this matter very quickly. Everybody i mention it too seems a bit ermmmm possibly and nothing definitive.

So i am just wondering if anybody has an opinion on this or come across it before.

Cheers

If BC are specifying that they are required then the simplest solution is to fit the cheapest you can find, if the fittings are already fire rated and you know that BC is wrong then why waste too much money, however the hassle of fighting BC is not worth it.

I had a simialr argument with someone regarding fire rating and LED downlights. Basically the argument centred on a domestic dwelling and that if there was no habitable dwelling above, ie only a loft space that recessed downlights did not require to be fire rated. My take is if you cut a hole in a ceiling you reduce the integrity of the ceiling and therefore reduce the fire rating of the ceiling.

I couldn't find a definitive answer, which also begs the questions, why sell recessed downlights which are not fire rated?

Reply to LED Panels - fire rating and fire hoods in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net