Discuss LED possible strip lighting above worktops (under wall units) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, more advice required, about LED lighting. I'm so well out of date with these things. An Ashley/Rock HAL 96T batten holder was all that was needed in my time!
If you were posh, a fluorescent strip light!.
I intend to install LED lighting above the worktops. I looked at a video clip yesterday illustrating LED strip lights on a tape which is wafer thin. How do you typically wire them? Where would the transformer/ driver go?. At this point in time, I've wired a 1.0mm T+E cable from a spur point in readiness. I want to wire it neatly, nothing on show etc. Thanks once again,

Thanks for that.. Have you had bad experience with them?

I won't fit them...... most kitchens after a while are dirty, greasy environments ..... something screwed to the cupboard is far better IMHO.

Like these:

LED Under Cupboard Fittings - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/LED_Undercupboard_Fittings/index.html

or a cheaper option:

230v 9w LED Linkable Striplight Warm White 3000k - 538mm - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBUCLED9WW.html

The latter don't have transformers to go wrong!

If the wall units have a pelmet along the bottom edge, any junction boxes and drivers can hide behind that.
Thanks, no pelmets at all. First idea was for some tubular type LED lighting that I saw in a pub recently. The tubes changed colour also.
I don't want to see the fittings, just a glow from the lights.

I won't fit them...... most kitchens after a while are dirty, greasy environments ..... something screwed to the cupboard is far better IMHO.

Like these:

LED Under Cupboard Fittings - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/LED_Undercupboard_Fittings/index.html

or a cheaper option:

230v 9w LED Linkable Striplight Warm White 3000k - 538mm - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBUCLED9WW.html

The latter don't have transformers to go wrong!
Good point about transformers! In link you supplied, cupboard featured has no pelmet.

Thanks for replies guys. Customer decided to go for the LED strip lights as no pelmet. Where can i get blue LED strip lights with all the correct fittings. ie to change strip 90 degrees. If driver sited on top of wall unit, could I use a small stranded flex/bell wire from driver to first strip light?
Thanks

Thanks for replies guys. Customer decided to go for the LED strip lights as no pelmet. Where can i get blue LED strip lights with all the correct fittings. ie to change strip 90 degrees. If driver sited on top of wall unit, could I use a small stranded flex/bell wire from driver to first strip light?
Thanks

"most" LED driver / light combinations have a maximum cable length on the LV side and best use the OEM's cables ......

Thanks Murdoch. No doubt an obvious answer. OEM's cables? What does OEM mean? Not done these before. The distance between driver and first LED lights is depth of wall cupboard. From same driver to second LED lights 6-7 metres. Instructions suggest stranded better than solid cables. I had used 1.mm T+E. I can easily use correct smaller stranded cable.

Thanks Murdoch. No doubt an obvious answer. OEM's cables? What does OEM mean? Not done these before. The distance between driver and first LED lights is depth of wall cupboard. From same driver to second LED lights 6-7 metres. Instructions suggest stranded better than solid cables. I had used 1.mm T+E. I can easily use correct smaller stranded cable.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer, ie. the people who make to product.
7 metres is a long way at such a low voltage, although current draw is pretty low also, so VD may not be a problem.

I would be checking what the maufacturers say about maximum length of the cables before its too late!

I fitted these recently. Cannot remember the make but got them from Denmans. They're only about 5mm thick and perfect for underneath cabinets where there's no pelmet...transformer is on top of the cupboard. I wired them back to the kitchen light switch so control is right next to the door - as you'd expect...LED possible strip lighting above worktops (under wall units) ultra thin LED lightin - EletriciansForums.net

LED possible strip lighting above worktops (under wall units) Under cab 1 - EletriciansForums.net

LED possible strip lighting above worktops (under wall units) Undercab 2 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to LED possible strip lighting above worktops (under wall units) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock