Discuss LED problem in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

diditrain

-
Arms
Reaction score
Recently fitted a Saxby dimmable driver and a GE brand dimmable 7watt LED lamp. When I turn the switch on, the lamp does not illuminate, but if I remove the lamp and re-insert it into the lamp holder It illuminates. When I try to dim it, the dimmable lamp just goes out and will not switch back on until I remove the lamp and re-insert it.
I thought it was a poor connection in the lamp holder initially, so I replaced it with a new one. Problem still exists.
I have removed the dimmer and fitted a normal switch, but the problem is still there.
I then tried a non dimmable lamp and it turns on and off without any problems.
Do you think this is just a case of the dimmable lamp not being compatible with the driver?

Many possibilities for incompatibility here.
Can the driver operate down to 0W or even down to 7W?
Is the driver a driver and not a transformer?
Is there any information on the lamp for the type of dimming that is acceptable and does this match with the Saxby driver.
What method of dimming is being applied by the dimmer is the dimmer compatible with the lamp?
This is the GE dimmer compatibility list, though it does not include saxby.

It may help to guide you to a suitable dimmer/driver, though I would expect that the problem is with the dimming rather than the driver.

Thank`s for the info Richard. Initially before I purchased the driver, I spoke to Saxby technical to ask if the driver required a minimum wattage to operate and they said no. It also said in the instructions that it was suitable for use with leading or trailing edge dimmers.
Even with the dimmer removed and a normal plateswitch fitted, I could not get the dimmable lamp to operate properly.
I gave up in the end and fitted a plateswitch and a non dimmable lamp.

Reply to LED problem in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net