Discuss LED Spots in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Spoon242

Hey Guys,

I have installed 3 x Mains LED dimmable spots 6W each.

I have used an MK 400W dimmer and when the switch is fully open the LED Spots flicker! Close the dimmer slightly and the flickering stops....

Possible causes please?

A friend of mine had this...turned out to be something to do with that type of dimmer switch he had fitted....Phase angle rotation seems to ring a bell.....???

is the dimmer compatible with l.e.d spotlights?

well a quick google gave this
"Low voltage dimmer switch with micro-controller based circuitry. Use with Tungsten GLS lamps and low voltage halogen lamps. Fits 16mm plaster box depth. Includes full instructions. Use good quality wire wound or electronic transformers"
so from that previous paragraph, i would guess not?
this could be the issue?
the flickering could develop to blown l.e.ds later on.
just my 2ps hope it was helpfull.

Dimming LEDS is always tricky, I've found the best soloution is to go for something that is designed with a dimmable power supply to supply the LEDS. These tend not to be cheap and generally do not use the standard dimmers.

there is a proper LED dimmer module now available that is made for dimming small loads between 0W and 60W. these work with LED dimmable lamps and Halers fittings fine.

You will need a dimmer designed for the low load of LED lamps as perviously mentioned. Most standard dimmers minimum load is 40w, which as you can see won't work your maximum load of 18w. There out there now dimmers with very low minimum loads of 10w or less. Some dimmers will work with a 'load resistor' placed in parallel with the led lamps, but thats a bit messy in my opinion. Some LED lamps will also require 'trailing edge' dimmers as well. The best bet is to purchase LED fittings and dimmer by the same manufacturer (or dimmers recommended by the manufacturer). Avoid cheap lamps, it's costlier in the end.

I don't think MK currently offer a low wattage dimmer, I asked them about 6months ago. I've used LEDlite dimmers and lamps, their web site is down at the mo' though.

Last edited:

Reply to LED Spots in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock