Discuss LED Strip Ceiling Lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am redecorating my bedroom and would like to create that LED strip lighting effect as uplighters from the coving. That is probably not the technical term, but sure you know what I mean (see attached picture as rough examples of what I am trying to re-create). And yes, I know it is a bit gimmicky, but would like it all the same. I also still want a main centre light. I can build the frame work for the LED strips to sit on etc, just need guidance on the lighting and electrics.

Q1). Can anyone recommend some links to products? I would like the light to look continuous, diffused, multicoloured and dimmable, even if most of the time I will probably just use it as white light.

Q2). Can I wire it into the mains myself either from the existing light switch (I can do the wall chasing, capping etc myself) or there is a junction box just above the ceiling where the bathroom lights are wired into?

I probably have more questions, but I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Brenna.

Attachments

• LED Strip Ceiling Lights Lights1 - EletriciansForums.net
    Lights1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 3
  • LED Strip Ceiling Lights Lights2 - EletriciansForums.net
    Lights2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 3
Most electrical wholesalers will supply good quality LED tape, where the LEDS are mounted on a fairly flexible strip. Then there’s aluminium backing frame that’s fixed to the wall, and possibly a clear or opaque plastic diffuser over the tape.
The cheap ones from Amazon eBay etc I’ve found are not reliable.

If it is attic space above, you could mount the power supply up there, but don’t cover it in insulation, give it room as it will warm up when in use.
This may come with a fitted plug, so you can install a socket off the lighting circuit as long as it’s marked for its specific use.

LED tape is usually rated at so many amps per meter. So multiply this by the length and get a power supply larger.

Most electrical wholesalers will supply good quality LED tape, where the LEDS are mounted on a fairly flexible strip. Then there’s aluminium backing frame that’s fixed to the wall, and possibly a clear or opaque plastic diffuser over the tape.
The cheap ones from Amazon eBay etc I’ve found are not reliable.

Some decent, well priced aluminium profiles available from Amazon/eBay, but I've yet to see a cheap tape from those marketplaces that didn't have diodes failing within 6 months

To achieve 'colour changing' will almost certainly mean a 'remote control' as otherwise gets expensive, and a simple light switch for On/Off!

Profiles are around £8 per meter. Tape comes in (usually) five meter lengths RGB. They cost around £40 per item with a power supply. To do a room with alcoves however is a bit more difficult depending on the type of look you want. For instance the five meter RGB led dont really do corners too well. The tape on them does not stick (much anyway). So for a really proper job you need connectors. You can have this made up for you to custom sizes at for instance arcled as above per @Jim_e_Jib however it does get very pricey for just a room. The 5m tapes look pretty naff really but do the job of lighting up the room. You will probably need around 15-20 m of profile costing in the region of £150 with corner joints £180 and then the tape and a power supply. You wont get much change from £500 to do it properly.

Reply to LED Strip Ceiling Lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock