Discuss LED tubes won't turn ON sometimes due to dimmer on the same 120V line in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

idenrn

DIY
Reaction score
I just rewired my kitchen CFL T8 fixture with direct wire - double ended Sylvania A/B type LED tubes, no more ballast. One single 120V 15A line connected to living room with LED dimmer and LED light bulbs. Couple of the feet from dimmer another simple On/Off switch(kitchen) connected to the same AC line and T8 LED tubes fixture as described above. When living room dimmer set to low setting - kitchen tubes won't turn on sometimes. When i increase the living room dimmer brightest the kitchen tubes will come on instantly. This happens intermittently like 50%/50%. LED dimmer brand new and designed for LED's. Any ideas why?

The first thing to double-check is that nothing has ended up connected in series. This can happen if a white (hot) switch feed and neutral get interchanged in a fixture or switch box. If the kitchen lights work reliably with the dimmer in both the full up or off position it is unlikely to be the problem but just worth ruling out.

Dimmed LED fixtures can and do interact, because the non-linear load of one dimmed fixture distorts the AC supply waveform and interferes with the operation of another dimmer. Less common is interaction with non-dimmed fixtures. I would expect it to occur if the voltage is unusually low or the circuit has unusually high resistance. These things can be tricky to pin down. The manufacturers might be able to offer suggestions but typically will say it must be somebody else's problem.

I just rewired my kitchen CFL T8 fixture with direct wire - double ended Sylvania A/B type LED tubes, no more ballast. One single 120V 15A line connected to living room with LED dimmer and LED light bulbs. Couple of the feet from dimmer another simple On/Off switch(kitchen) connected to the same AC line and T8 LED tubes fixture as described above. When living room dimmer set to low setting - kitchen tubes won't turn on sometimes. When i increase the living room dimmer brightest the kitchen tubes will come on instantly. This happens intermittently like 50%/50%. LED dimmer brand new and designed for LED's. Any ideas why?
Your problem will be in the dimmer itself. The best dimmer that I have found that worked the best is a Lutron dimmer switch

Reply to LED tubes won't turn ON sometimes due to dimmer on the same 120V line in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net