Discuss LED Window Display Problem? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Paul.M

-
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
I've just finished a part rewire of an estate agents shop/office, part of the spec was to give the window display guys a feed via 2 x DB sockets for their LED window display as below.

LED Window Display Problem? mwT6e6Bs-rzPyeyd4vi7CSQ - EletriciansForums.net

Each column is on its own driver via a plug from my supply. The supply is from a 2.5mm on a Squre D C16 MCB, (SQO range btw) clipped direct and trunking (enough info for you guys :wink: )

Owner of the estate agents has just called me now saying that one column went off yesterday and that the other two went off today at different times! I told him that it will be the drivers of each unit, they have a thermal cut off switch and it must have kicked in. But the window display man (owner of the company) says it isn't!!! They have never had this problem before and it must be the electricians fault!!!!! We will see on Monday. The MCB has not tipped, all tests are great (new circuit). It must be his equipment that he has plugged in?

That is my question. How do I prove that it is his drivers at fault??? I may ask Test-Meter to loan me a thermal camera and take readings at different times of the day of the drivers.

Any help on this will be great lads, thanks in advance.

btw I will be telling the window display guy to go and multiply on Monday, should be an interesting conversation :6:

Lend him a martindale, if the powers not out, hows it your fault??

Yep, my supply is perfectly fine. The drivers are going down one by one. How is that my fault!

Going to be fun on Monday lol :rofl:

If socket working ok, nothing to do with you. Just check voltage at socket and walk away. It pays sometimes not to get involved or you will find yourself replacing the drivers etc and doing it for nothing.

If socket working ok, nothing to do with you. Just check voltage at socket and walk away. It pays sometimes not to get involved or you will find yourself replacing the drivers etc and doing it for nothing.

Exactly Pat, this is the true meaning of "electricians do hard wires, not what you have plugged in".

I'd just show them the voltage readings on the Input and Outputs of the drivers, dead or otherwise.
Then charge them for wasting my time! :)

I've just finished a part rewire of an estate agents shop/office, part of the spec was to give the window display guys a feed via 2 x DB sockets for their LED window display as below.

View attachment 26513

Each column is on its own driver via a plug from my supply. The supply is from a 2.5mm on a Squre D C16 MCB, (SQO range btw) clipped direct and trunking (enough info for you guys :wink: )

Owner of the estate agents has just called me now saying that one column went off yesterday and that the other two went off today at different times! I told him that it will be the drivers of each unit, they have a thermal cut off switch and it must have kicked in. But the window display man (owner of the company) says it isn't!!! They have never had this problem before and it must be the electricians fault!!!!! We will see on Monday. The MCB has not tipped, all tests are great (new circuit). It must be his equipment that he has plugged in?

That is my question. How do I prove that it is his drivers at fault??? I may ask Test-Meter to loan me a thermal camera and take readings at different times of the day of the drivers.

Any help on this will be great lads, thanks in advance.

btw I will be telling the window display guy to go and multiply on Monday, should be an interesting conversation :6:

Why not tell him to open one of those windows .....and then throw himself through it...

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly: lol you sure it`s metric and not imperial electric they got ,new tech don`t like the sticky square lumps in

the old imperial stuff :6::6: pmsl

I cannot see that your circuit can be at fault in any way (unless you installed it badly!:tongue:). It just cannot have problems (oh yes unless it is a 30m run)
Check the input current on the drivers and compare with the driver ratings to see if they are close to the limit.
Make sure the drivers are not, in their new location, all enclosed so they cannot cool.

Charge handsomely for this generous service you are supplying.

Had this before,some gut bought a really carp outside light,it worked for a week then died,so I went round with the test lamps and proved 240 at supply terminals to fitting,obviously a faulty light he supplied it so not my problem.

Paul who bought the kit, if it was you then yes it's your problem, if you didn't then it isn't.
However is he a valued customer and does he spend a lot of money with you if yes then I would go the extra mile and sort it out for him, !st thing is to check the drivers as per Archy's suggestion.
If you're out of your depth mate give me a call and I will pop up and sort it for you. :sifone:

I cannot see that your circuit can be at fault in any way (unless you installed it badly!:tongue:). It just cannot have problems (oh yes unless it is a 30m run)

Make sure you add at least 50% to the bill for worry time

If you're out of your depth mate give me a call and I will pop up and sort it for you. :sifone:

Badly installed lol. Worried, NOT. GMES saying I'm out of my death!!!! Knew I get a ribbing for asking this question pmsl.

It is in 3m of yt2 then clipped direct to internal wall, above suspended ceiling in free air, total run about 9m. As above I'll test the drivers and walk away, my job is done, it is now down to the display guys.

If it gets a bit heated on Monday I'll get uncle Glenn to sort him out :rofl:

Badly installed lol. Worried, NOT. GMES saying I'm out of my death!!!! Knew I get a ribbing for asking this question pmsl.

Sounds like he's sorting you out with the death threat or did you mean depth in hope so

Under the Back wheels with jokes like that.
Only kidding Nephew

It is in 3m of yt2 then clipped direct to internal wall, above suspended ceiling in free air, total run about 9m. As above I'll test the drivers and walk away, my job is done, it is now down to the display guys.

It might not be cheap drivers but the wrong ones. One thing to look out for is that drivers should not be more than 80% loaded. For example, what is the point of a 100W driver which can consistently only be loaded at no more than 80W.
Personally I think this is a stupid system, but just another spanner in the works. And do as Archy says, if it’s not your fault, charge them for wasting your time.:angel_smile:

I was just thinking it is vitally important to advise in advance that if it is not the fault of your work then the full charge for the investigation will be due.
This may get them to think again and save you having to go out at all!

Reply to LED Window Display Problem? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock