Discuss LEDs and Lutron dimmers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a customer who has several stand alone Lutron dimmers, some just masters, some masters and slaves. These dimmers are dimming ELV MR16 spot lights. He has a total of around 30 of these spots and they were fitted around 2009.

This is the Lutron dimmers he has
http://www.lutron.com/europe/Produc...ls/Dimmers-Switches/RaniaDimmer/Overview.aspx

My customer is getting fed up with paying me to replace the transformers when they fail and the inconvenience of having me into his home to change them (hes that sort of guy), so has asked me to look into fitting some LED spots. I fitted some Halers H2Pro in his 3 bathrooms a couple of months ago and he really likes these. The energy saving of LEDs is only a bonus to him.

It would be a nice profitable job to do, the only problem is that Lutron dimmers dont work on many LEDs and he really likes his Lutrons. I phoned Lutron technical and they told me that the dimmers he has will only dim very few LEDs, so I asked him about fitting newer versions only to be told that its the same situation. I cant believe a high end product like lutron is so far behind the times. Varilight, for example, do some great dimmers that will dim most LEDs at a fraction of the cost of Lutrons, yet they are supposedly in a lower league to Lutrons

I fully inspected the property about 2 months ago and completed the remedials so I know the wiring is up to scratch.

Anyone had any success with Lutrons and LEDs?

I'm guessing you're talking about the Rania range of dimmers, if so, they're not behind the times at all, they are electronic devices that are simply not designed to handle the high inrush current of LED lights. Most dimmers for LED lights are specifically made for that purpose.

That said, I can't see there being a problem if you set the dimmers on trailing edge mode and trimmed the bottom end by 25%. Also, use Aurora LEDs, preferably the i10 range. They have a relatively low inrush compared to Halers.

Halers really are trailing behind now. There are so many better products out there now, a lot of them at a better price.

My wholesalers suggested the aurora LEDs but they couldnt guarantee they would work which puts me in a difficult situation. I need something that is guaranteed to work thus my post.

When refering to lutron being behind the times I was refering to the fact that the technical dept told me they didnt do a dimmer that dimmed most LEDs.

My wholesalers suggested the aurora LEDs but they couldnt guarantee they would work which puts me in a difficult situation. I need something that is guaranteed to work thus my post.

When refering to lutron being behind the times I was refering to the fact that the technical dept told me they didnt do a dimmer that dimmed most LEDs.

They do, but you've got to pay for it.

Reply to LEDs and Lutron dimmers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net