Discuss Legal requirements for Automatic Door engineers in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just joined the forum as I think it's important to inform those who are electricians that are thinking about expanding into automatic door servicing and installation about certain regulations.

If you are familiar with automatic doors, you will understand that they follow the Machine Directive which is a legal requirement.

There is a question we have been asked on numerous occasions:
"Is the BS EN16005 law?"

The BS EN16005 2012 is a UK implementation of EN16005, which is a harmonised European Standard. This is a British Standards Institution publication, which states:

“This European Standard has been prepared under a mandate given by the European Commission and the European Free Trade Association to provide a means of conforming to Essential; Requirements of the New Approach Directive Machinery 2006/42/EC.” [1]

According to HSE, all new machinery in scope of the Machinery Directive has to be designed and constructed to meet common minimum European requirements for safety. Therefore, to achieve compliance the Responsible Person must undertake a conformity assessment
process to meet the Directive's obligations. [2]

In summary this document was written as a guide to make new installed automatic doors comply with the Machine Directive.

The Machinery Directive is concern for new installations but the BS EN16005 is also a requirement for maintaining doors.

The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER) "place duties on people and companies who own, operate or have control over work equipment. PUWER also places responsibilities on businesses and organisations whose employees use work equipment, whether owned by them or not." [3]

PUWER requires that equipment provided is "safe for use, maintained in a safe condition and inspected to ensure it is correctly installed and does not subsequently deteriorate". [4]

Therefore because the BS EN16005 is a guide for the safe operation for automatic doors, this is the standard in order for automatic doors to be deemed "maintained in a safe condition". 

In summary, the BS EN16005 is not law but it is the requirement for any automatic door to be legally compliant with the Machine Directive and The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998, which are legal regulations.
For more information on the summary of the Machine Directive contact HSE direct.

References:
[1] BS EN16005 Annex ZA, page 57
[2] HSE - New Machinery
[3] HSE - PUWER
[4] HSE - PUWER

If you would like any further information on the BS EN16005, please **edited** PM me.

Hi Laura and welcome to the forum and thanks for the info.

I've had to delete the links in your post above I'm afraid because they're in breech of our advertising policy.

In summary, the BS EN16005 is not law but it is the requirement for any automatic door to be legally compliant with the Machine Directive and The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998, which are legal regulations.

Not much different to BS7671 then is it....

BS 7671 isn't law so to speak, but go into a court of law and it's proven that you have not complied with, or exceeded those regulations, and you are in for a hiding!!

Reply to Legal requirements for Automatic Door engineers in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net