Discuss Legalities surrounding lamp making in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
I would love to pursue a career in hand made lamp making.I have researched all qualifications/certs needed for the legality of making lamps but found the information to be a minefield.

I would really like to know what qualifications/certs/courses i need for the legality to complete to enable me to make lamps?
I look forward to your response and thank you in advance for reading this,

Kind Regards,
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not so much courses you need as compliance with various standards and directives. Have you seen this?

Perhaps you might consider independent testing and take the burden of compliance and buying massively expensive test equipment.

If using already CE marked and type approved lamp holders, and then fitting these lamp holders into a home made case (almost like making a homemade lampshade)

I wonder is this would comply / be easier as all the electrical components are already exsisting products being put together

I have no idea on the legality of my suggestion but it would be interesting to know, and someone on here probably knows

If using already CE marked and type approved lamp holders, and then fitting these lamp holders into a home made case (almost like making a homemade lampshade)

I wonder is this would comply / be easier as all the electrical components are already exsisting products being put together

I have no idea on the legality of my suggestion but it would be interesting to know, and someone on here probably knows

I have actually made a light from a trombone. As I couldn't earth the trombone without ruining the aesthetic, I fitted a 12v lamp holder and ran it from a SELV transformer, I was not concerend with the legallity as it is for my own office and not planning on selling them

The finished product would still have to conform to safety standards.

Look up CE declaration of conformity, the electrical equipment safety regulations 2016, BS EN 60598, BS EN 60335-1, and have a look here.
Product safety law: compliance advice for manufacturers and importers - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/product-safety-law-compliance-advice-for-manufacturers-and-importers.

Get your research and paperwork in order and all should be fine.
There are different types of CE declaration. You can self declare some items and some items have to be independently tested.

OP, you have been given good advice re the low voltage directive and CE marking. Stick around on the forum, it's a very good one.
[automerge]1591721877[/automerge]
I've made one out of an old AVO and one out of galv and brass conduit bits. I keep meaning to make some more. Amazing what stuff/rubbish people make them with! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Legalities surrounding lamp making in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net