Discuss Length and size of armoured cable. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jag7477

Afternoon All.

I am currently doing an electrical job for a customer, who has a build an external shed, at the back of their garden.

i have currently installed 15 double sockets, 2 lighting points on 2 separate circuits.

The distance from the consumer box to his shed is approx 30 metres.

What size armoured cable am I expected to use, and will the armoured cable produce enough power to the shed.

Thank you

Jag

Are you a qualified sparky? Why are you having a problem working out the load requirement? Are you installing 2 SWA cables to supply the 2 circuits or is there a DB or sub-board in the shed?

You calculate the size of the cable the same way you calculated the size of the cable you used for the 2 circuits.

Or failing that just use a bit of 240mm four core to be on the safe side.

The mind boggles.....

The way I read this is that he's installed all the sockets and lights and is now wondering about the supply!

Afternoon All.

I am currently doing an electrical job for a customer, who has a build an external shed, at the back of their garden.

i have currently installed 15 double sockets, 2 lighting points on 2 separate circuits.

What size armoured cable am I expected to use, and will the armoured cable produce enough power to the shed.

Thank you

Jag

I particularly like the concept of a cable generating its own electricity.
Is this guy another Tesla in the making?! :smilielol5:

Afternoon All.

Thank you

Jag

If you share with us your 'calculation' for the cable size (based on expected loading, protective device, voltage drop), I'm sure you will find someone here who will check / comment on the results.

and it's not even friday!!! Jag, i hope you've got your tin hat and bullet-proof vest, coz. you're bloody well going to need them.

The mind boggles.....

The way I read this is that he's installed all the sockets and lights and is now wondering about the supply!
You may be right. I couldn't figure out what he's up to or where he's up to, I thought maybe he was installing 2 separate supplies to the shed.

i've got 20m of 16mm SWA and 15m OF 2.5mm SWA left over from a couple of jobs. join them together and see which works best.

and it's not even friday!!! Jag, i hope you've got your tin hat and bullet-proof vest, coz. you're bloody well going to need them.
i dont even want to think about friday, spending a day going through portfolio and writing it up (ive got toto print of a lot of pics etc and make some risk assesment and method statements first)

im going to copy photonic with the paperwork XD

in answer to opening post.

it depends what he is going to plug into them.

you could get away with 4mm or might need 10mm

you should get someone in with more experience if your struggling with diversify

Again the age old problem rears it's head,any fool can pop to B&Q and get the gear to throw a couple of basic circuts in,but once again he fails when it comes to selecting the correct feeder cable.

Reply to Length and size of armoured cable. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net