Discuss Less sensitive smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Guitarist

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I went to price a job up today and noticed the lady had physically disconnected her 2 interlinked smoke alarms, due to them always going off.
Obviously, I was concerned to see this and pointed out that not only is this dangerous, but that her insurance is probably invalid. She is a heavy smoker, which obviously doesn't help, but she claims that even steam from the bathroom will set them off!
I didn't get to see what make they were, but they were installed when the house was built 8 years ago.
I am keen to get 2 new ones installed that she can live with and would like any suggestions from you guys please. I like the look of the Aico Ei166RC, but have no experience of this model.

Last edited:
Were they actually going off or were they "bleeping"? If its the later maybe they need a good hoovering. I can't imagine that cigarette smoke alone would set them off unless she's a continual chain smoker.

As above, try cleaning the chamber. Maybe they can be replaced with rate of rise heat detectors as opposed to smokes. I'm guessing this is domestic given the alarm and smoking environment.

Were they actually going off or were they "bleeping"? If its the later maybe they need a good hoovering. I can't imagine that cigarette smoke alone would set them off unless she's a continual chain smoker.

She said that they were "going off" on a regular basis, whenever she cooked, had a shower, and no doubt lit-up. It is a small 3-up, 2-down place so not a lot of circulation space.
There is the possibility that one of the originals was faulty from new, and she just took them out without bothering to check. If I was to install a new pair of good optical alarms, at least we would have done our best to minimise the amount they go off. It may be that she smokes around the house the originals were just too sensitive.

Sorry to jump in on thread......
To comply with part B of building regs it says mains interlinked fire alarms to be fitted on new builds plus refurbished houses. What exactly does it mean by refurbished.....is it just relating to a rewire ?

Last edited:
they sound like they are probably old ionisation detectors replace them for some new optical or if your worried about false alarms dual sensor units the ones you mention should be ok
the old ones are near the end of there life as they should be changed every 10 years
and steam or even hair spray and deodorant can cause an alarm due to the partical size
and an odd false alarm when the place fills with steam or burns the toast is a good thing because they will never test it anyway

Would bet that the ones fitted were ionisation alarms. Contractors fit ions to new build because they are cheaper than optical alarms, despite the fact opticals are recommended for escape routes.

The smokes are probably contaminated and causing false alarms.

You should fit opticals - which the Aico 166s are.

Heat alarms should never be fitted to escape routes
(with the exception of dual sensor alarms). They detect the heat from a fire - by which time you won't be able to escape that way!!!

I went to price a job up today and noticed the lady had physically disconnected her 2 interlinked smoke alarms, due to them always going off.
Obviously, I was concerned to see this and pointed out that not only is this dangerous, but that her insurance is probably invalid. She is a heavy smoker, which obviously doesn't help, but she claims that even steam from the bathroom will set them off!
I didn't get to see what make they were, but they were installed when the house was built 8 years ago.
I am keen to get 2 new ones installed that she can live with and would like any suggestions from you guys please. I like the look of the Aico Ei166RC, but have no experience of this model.

Wrong type of detectors used.

in Incorrect locations.

Change the detector type

Change the detector location.

and install a Hush/test button.

Aico are good. But how long since she disconnected them? Six or seven years? Have they never been satisfactory?

Guitarist I think your on the right lines with your thinking, as others have said the aico does seem to be the best to fit and I would give it another vote, Its all I fit now.
You say the existing were fitted eight years ago so most start to get a over sensitive after 5 years or so, I think may normally be due to dust build up and most people never clean them. A bit like the tv screen they attract dust inside and i guess the components overheat a bit.
I tend to advise they run the hoover hose round them now and again to keep it down, I get the mrs to do this at home to the ones I fitted 10 yrs ago (aico) and had no problems yet. In saying that the ones before them we used as a dinner gong but the wifes cooking is much better now.

Probably all that tar and nicotine building up in them has knackered them. I'd hate to see the state of my lungs... :lol:

I tend to advise they run the hoover hose round them now and again to keep it down, I get the mrs to do this at home to the ones I fitted 10 yrs ago (aico) and had no problems yet. In saying that the ones before them we used as a dinner gong but the wifes cooking is much better now.

That'll be as per the Manufacturers instructions then !!

Reply to Less sensitive smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net