Discuss Level 2 electrical installation course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm also in a position of retraining and currently weighing up my options.
If (IF) you are only looking at doing domestic stuff, as I am (based on very little industry in my area), then you can do your 18th Edition (C&G2382-18:A2) and your Initial verification/testing/inspection (C&G2391-52) as @swaRRR mentioned up-front (these will be required for just about anything electrical) and you could do the C&G5393 - DOMESTIC NVQ3. Within this 5393, I have found that there is a module for 18th edition, and a module for Inspection and testing, so what this option may offer you, is a way to START getting some paperwork, and then cut the modules out of the 5393 course. They allow what is known as RPL - Recognised Prior Learning, where if you have covered all of the material in a module, then you can bypass it by applying your already earned credentials to it.

Here's the downside though - 5393 hasn't officially been given the go-live yet! However, there have been updates to the C&G 5393 page within the last 8 days, so there is 'some' movement on it. 5393 also has no pre-requisites for 2365 L2/L3 diplomas, so you can start directly on the NVQ3 DOMESTIC.
If you are already in plumbing/gas, then you are unlikely short of work anyway, so learning in between jobs on the 18th edition and 2392-52 will be a good use of your time until C&G pull their thumb out of their peach!

This of course, is dependant on you only wanting to do domestic stuff ONLY!

If you want to do commercial too, then scrap everything I said about 5393 and do as many people have already told you here and get a job doing the donkey-work onsite and get an employer to put you through the Apprenticeship IF YOU HAVE THE TIME!

Is the city and guilds 5393 a college course or will it be?
Everything I know about it, I have found out in the last 24 hours. Do as I am doing - have a look around the internet, call some colleges and input your findings to this forum - that's the beauty of forums - everybody does a little bit and everyone else enjoys the spoils.... But that relies on everybody putting their "little bit" into the information pot 👌

If you want to do commercial too, then scrap everything I said about 5393 and do as many people have already told you here and get a job doing the donkey-work onsite and get an employer to put you through the Apprenticeship IF YOU HAVE THE TIME!

I'd contend that time ought to be the number one investment for anyone wishing to re-train. This isn't a 'train and go' industry and anyone who thinks a quick route is a golden ticket, will sooner or later find themselves with their trousers pulled down around their ankles.

That's not to say that quick routes don't have their place, but they should be considered a stepping stone. No matter what route you take, the learning curve is going to be steep.

I'm also in a position of retraining and currently weighing up my options.
If (IF) you are only looking at doing domestic stuff, as I am (based on very little industry in my area), then you can do your 18th Edition (C&G2382-18:A2) and your Initial verification/testing/inspection (C&G2391-52) as @swaRRR mentioned up-front (these will be required for just about anything electrical) and you could do the C&G5393 - DOMESTIC NVQ3. Within this 5393, I have found that there is a module for 18th edition, and a module for Inspection and testing, so what this option may offer you, is a way to START getting some paperwork, and then cut the modules out of the 5393 course. They allow what is known as RPL - Recognised Prior Learning, where if you have covered all of the material in a module, then you can bypass it by applying your already earned credentials to it.

Here's the downside though - 5393 hasn't officially been given the go-live yet! However, there have been updates to the C&G 5393 page within the last 8 days, so there is 'some' movement on it. 5393 also has no pre-requisites for 2365 L2/L3 diplomas, so you can start directly on the NVQ3 DOMESTIC.
If you are already in plumbing/gas, then you are unlikely short of work anyway, so learning in between jobs on the 18th edition and 2392-52 will be a good use of your time until C&G pull their thumb out of their peach!

This of course, is dependant on you only wanting to do domestic stuff ONLY!

You got any links so i can read about this new NVQ?

Everything I know about it, I have found out in the last 24 hours. Do as I am doing - have a look around the internet, call some colleges and input your findings to this forum - that's the beauty of forums - everybody does a little bit and everyone else enjoys the spoils.... But that relies on everybody putting their "little bit" into the information pot 👌
TESP may have more information on thier website as (iirc) the Domestic NVQ is their abomination brainchild.

I'd contend that time ought to be the number one investment for anyone wishing to re-train. This isn't a 'train and go' industry and anyone who thinks a quick route is a golden ticket, will sooner or later find themselves with their trousers pulled down around their ankles.

That's not to say that quick routes don't have their place, but they should be considered a stepping stone. No matter what route you take, the learning curve is going to be steep.
The problem is most people don't actually want to do it quickly - especially adult retrainers, they want to do it properly but the opportunities are slim and real world wages don't correlate with training. I'm not gonna drop five to eight grand getting my level 3, with which i still can't get on site as anything but a skilled labourer and still need to pay for 18th edition, testing and inspection, nvq and AM2 to be considered worthy. It's too much of a financial burden for most people.

The problem is most people don't actually want to do it quickly - especially adult retrainers, they want to do it properly but the opportunities are slim and real world wages don't correlate with training. I'm not gonna drop five to eight grand getting my level 3, with which i still can't get on site as anything but a skilled labourer and still need to pay for 18th edition, testing and inspection, nvq and AM2 to be considered worthy. It's too much of a financial burden for most people.

That's fair comment, but the post I was responding to specifically mentioned time.

So I rang my local college a couple of weeks back. But sadly they said there weren't taking any more people on this year. But would ring back if a place became available in the next two weeks.

Has anyone done the distant learning on level 2 were you fo the theory online. And just attend somewhere to do the practical? I can't see it being as good as being in the classroom in all fairness.

Has anyone done the distant learning on level 2 were you fo the theory online. And just attend somewhere to do the practical? I can't see it being as good as being in the classroom in all fairness.
👋 Class of COVID; It all boils down to self-discipline. If you want it bad enough then you'll make damn sure the experience you get is as good as face-to-face. It it's one of these "here's your tutors email, any questions let us know" kinda deals then I'd be hounding the crap out of them with ever and any questions I had. Get the books, find out further reading, immerse yourself in learning and CPD.

Said it before and I'll say it again; you get out what you put in, if you're happy to coast through then more power to you but if you're motivated enough then the lack of classroom won't be an obstacle for you.

Thanks can anyone recommend good areas to learn online. Any good YouTube channels etc I learnt alot for plumbing and gas on forums. But obviously at the moment if I read alot on here alot wouldn't make too much sense yet.

Thanks can anyone recommend good areas to learn online. Any good YouTube channels etc I learnt alot for plumbing and gas on forums. But obviously at the moment if I read alot on here alot wouldn't make too much sense yet.

John Ward's YouTube channel is excellent. Great presentation of information.

In no particular order

Efixx (YouTube and efixx.co.uk)
John Ward (YouTube and flameport.com)
Joe Robinson Training (YouTube)
GSH Electrical (YouTube)
The Engineering Mindset (YouTube)
Swindon Massive (SwindonMassive.co.uk)
Adrian Davey (YouTube)
SparkyNinja (YouTube)
Team e5 (YouTube)

Should get you started

ETA JPElectric for his excellent illustrations; https://www.youtube.com/c/JPElectric

Reply to Level 2 electrical installation course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock