Discuss Level 2 or 3 (UK) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
firstly I appreciate this has probably been asked countless times but it’s really hard to find a straight answer. I’ve been offered a place from a local college on a level 3 electrical installation night course however I haven’t undertook my level 2. Will making the jump straight to level 3 be too difficult and will I miss out if I don’t start at level 2? Thanks in advance

Hi all,
firstly I appreciate this has probably been asked countless times but it’s really hard to find a straight answer. I’ve been offered a place from a local college on a level 3 electrical installation night course however I haven’t undertook my level 2. Will making the jump straight to level 3 be too difficult and will I miss out if I don’t start at level 2? Thanks in advance

In a word Yes Gsenior mainly because the level 3 carries on from what your learned in the level 2.
You will miss out on all practicals from cutting, marking out and fitting containment like Trunking, conduit, Tray, & using the correct tools for bending etc, learn how to fit & terminate SWA, doing ring final circuits, radial, 2, 3 way intermediate switching, consumer unit wiring and then testing your own work, learning to use a tester and much much more and that's not forgetting the fundamentals like H&S, safe isolation & not forgetting the science where you'd work calculations for series, parallel circuits, cable calculations where you would be expected to know when you hit the level 3.

The level 3 Gsenior there is no workshop for any practical work which I mentioned above, the only time you will be in the workshop will be when you hit the inspection & testing units, the level 3 is basically science, testing and building you up for the end of term design project.

Not saying it can't be done because it can, but it all depends how much you want to learn & what you want from the course whether you should hit the level 3 first, its great getting the certificates, a great achievement, but for me its the passion to learn as much as I can, and take in as much knowledge as I can override any certificates.

Best of luck whatever you go for.

what he said^^^^^, but depending on what experience you have had, it may be possible to skip level2.

Reply to Level 2 or 3 (UK) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net