Discuss Level 3 Testing. Is this right? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Christopher123

Hello

I have my 302 Practical exam (testing) on Wednesday. I just wanted to know if I am right in what I'm doing.

1. First you would do the Testing of the Protective conductors. Using the R2 method (Long Lead)
2. Then you would do the R1+R2 Tests of all your circuits. Connecting Live and Earth at the board and test at the load.
3. Ring Final test. Connecting Incoming Live with outgoing CPC and vice versa
4. Insulation Resistance Test. 500V down all cable turning on all switches
5. Polarity. Do a visual Inspection and see if it all works correctly.

Live test:

1. ZE test. Test between Main Protective Earth and the incoming Live.
2. PFC test. The same time as the ZE test.
3. ZS test. Testing between the cables at the load
4. RCD testing. Test at 1/2x 1x 5x the rated current, at 0degrees and 180degrees

Is this correct or is there something wrong. Or is there anything that I need to know??????

I would really appreciate any help

Thanks

I have my 302 Practical exam (testing) on Wednesday. I just wanted to know if I am right in what I'm doing.

1. First you would do the Testing of the Protective conductors. Using the R2 method (Long Lead)
YES (Bonding Conductors)
2. Then you would do the R1+R2 Tests of all your circuits. Connecting Live and Earth at the board and test at the load.
YES
3. Ring Final test. Connecting Incoming Live with outgoing CPC and vice versa
NO END to END TEST FIRST
4. Insulation Resistance Test. 500V down all cable turning on all switches
YES
5. Polarity. Do a visual Inspection and see if it all works correctly.
?? Polarity R1+R2 Dead test then at sockets Martindale type tester

Live test:

1. ZE test. Test between Main Protective Earth and the incoming Live.
YES
2. PFC test. The same time as the ZE test.
PEFC with earth connected PSCC Line & Neutral
3. Depends if you are going to use R1 +R2 +ZE to give you Zs
ZS test. Testing between the cables at the load
4. RCD testing. Test at 1/2x 1x 5x the rated current, at 0degrees and 180degrees
YES DONT forget mechanical test (Press the yellow button)

Hope this helps
T&E

Is this correct or is there something wrong. Or is there anything that I need to know??????

I would really appreciate any help

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Youre pretty much on track there mate.
Just add on functional tests at end to make sure all equipment works.
Job done and good luck.

Dead test only need R1+R2 or R2
More to do on ring final test r1 rn r2 & cross connect neutrals
pfc should be done to neutral & phase to phase on a TPN system if the tester is capable of phase to phase if not use rule of thumb (double the highest of pefc of pfc)

Just a couple of points:
Take each earth out of the board for R1+R2 to avoid parallel paths,
operate the switches as you're doing R1+R2 which will check polarity,
It might be worth looking up ring final testing in the onsite guide - you need to test end to end before figure of 8.
PFC is the highest of PEFC (3 lead) and PSCC (2 lead).
The last RCD test is to check operation of the test button, then finally test functionality by switching everything on.

Did mine a few months ago and we were NOT allowed to use Martindale type socket testers. Knowing end to end R of L,N and CPC the only way we were allowed to test was by crossing say L & N at cu (then L & CPC), totalling R and dividing by 4 and then testing R at each individual socket. It should be very close to the predicted results. The purpose of doing it this way is to identify any spurs as well as confirming polarity

For a Ze test don't forget to isolate the installation - prove it is isolated, then disconnect the earthing conductor then carry out test (at least that is what I was taught).

Most important thing to do first is SAFE ISOLATION, then prove its dead with gs38 approved voltage indicators and a proven unit. DO NOT give the key of your pad lock/device to your tutor or you will fail!!!

Good luck

Jay

Most important thing to do first is SAFE ISOLATION, then prove its dead with gs38 approved voltage indicators and a proven unit. DO NOT give the key of your pad lock/device to your tutor or you will fail!!!

Good luck

Jay
proving unit...or a known source of supply..such as the incoming side of a DP isolator....

DO NOT give the key of your pad lock/device to your tutor or you will fail!!!
When I did my level 3 you had to pretend to put the key in your pocket, then leave it on the side. The examiner assured us it wasn't a 'trick' - they've had people who have messed up the safe isolation and run out of the workshop in distress with the key still in their pocket, and the padlock has had to be removed using the 'master key' which has cost the college a new padlock.

When I did my level 3 you had to pretend to put the key in your pocket, then leave it on the side. The examiner assured us it wasn't a 'trick' - they've had people who have messed up the safe isolation and run out of the workshop in distress with the key still in their pocket, and the padlock has had to be removed using the 'master key' which has cost the college a new padlock.
well they may accept that at college Adam ....but you wont get away with that one on the 2391.....if that warning label isn`t on that lock that you will/should have put on that iso and that key dont go in your pocket....pack your bags...you`v failed....

Last edited:
At college our tutor actually asked us for the key. He made up some excuse like, "incase the fire alarm gos off, I need it so it wont get lost". If you gave him it, you failed. Sneaky bugger!!!

Jay

At college our tutor actually asked us for the key. He made up some excuse like, "incase the fire alarm gos off, I need it so it wont get lost". If you gave him it, you failed. Sneaky bugger!!!

Jay
well it is sneaky is that one....and not in a nice way either....they know damn well that folk are often nervous when undertaking such an assessment....now i can just here em now saying a competent person should know not to fall for such stuff n all that....but come on.....

well it is sneaky is that one....and not in a nice way either....they know damn well that folk are often nervous when undertaking such an assessment....now i can just here em now saying a competent person should know not to fall for such stuff n all that....but come on.....

But they did tell us for about for about 6 months before that they will try and get the key from us and that we should not, under any circumstances, give them it. Your right though Glenn, not a good thing to do to some one who is allready bricking it. But I still remember that rule, so it must have sunk in. lol.

Jay

But they did tell us for about for about 6 months before that they will try and get the key from us and that we should not, under any circumstances, give them it. Your right though Glenn, not a good thing to do to some one who is allready bricking it. But I still remember that rule, so it must have sunk in. lol.

Jay
wel as long as it was drummed into em before hand Jay...so if they STILL hand over the key....well thats just not listening to what they were told then isn`t it....but even so......

well they may accept that at college Adam ....but you wont get away with that one on the 2391.....if that warning label isn`t on that lock that you will/should have put on that iso and that key dont go in your pocket....pack your bags...you`v failed....
For the 2391 yes - I had the key in my pocket throughout the testing, but for the 2330 lvl3 at my college they wanted the key left on the side. I seem to remember actually asking for clarification as to whether or not it was a 'trick' which I think would be a bit nasty.

If they're anything like my college they want you to pass; they won't tell you the answers but you can ask for clarification on things such as the set up, which is obviously a mock-up test rig rather than a 'real-life' installation. For the 2391 my examiner also acted as an 'extra pair of hands' to push the test button on the 3 lead tests.

For the 2391 yes - I had the key in my pocket throughout the testing, but for the 2330 lvl3 at my college they wanted the key left on the side. I seem to remember actually asking for clarification as to whether or not it was a 'trick' which I think would be a bit nasty.

If they're anything like my college they want you to pass; they won't tell you the answers but you can ask for clarification on things such as the set up, which is obviously a mock-up test rig rather than a 'real-life' installation. For the 2391 my examiner also acted as an 'extra pair of hands' to push the test button on the 3 lead tests.
well that was naughty of him Adam....3 lead tests....i`m assuming thats a Ze...why not a croc on the earth bar....or if a Zs on a batten/pendant..then a croc on the earth box....then 1 hand to control the prods...the other to press `test`...only thing is though is just as you are about to test...then the bloody croc pings of the earth bar/box...lol....a real pain in`t arse is that...thats why i use a lightmate for Zs now with a prod on the earth...much better..faster n all....

Reply to Level 3 Testing. Is this right? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net