Discuss LGP For Edge Lighting LEDS in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jjstones19

Hello all, My name is Jenni and I am working to develop a system for backlighting artworks using edge lit light guide panels and led strips.

I have looked into the different light guide panels available, all are some variation on 3D laser etched acrylic. However, these light guide panels seem to be extremely expensive, in the UK at least. I have noticed light guide panels are used in ceiling lights though which are very cheap (about £30 for a 600mm2) so I am curious as to how these LGP can be so affordable- whether there is an alternative design to these or if they use a different, cheaper technology? Has anyone had any experience in using LGP or something similar?

Ideally I would like to buy large sheets of the panels and cut them to size myself.

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated!

Thanks very much!

Thanks for the advice, do you happen to know what the material is?
They are sealed units used as an alternative, cheaper running cost to the fluorescent modular fittings you see in offices. The diffuser is some kind of plastic and the casing is usually sheet steel.

They are sealed units used as an alternative, cheaper running cost to the fluorescent modular fittings you see in offices. The diffuser is some kind of plastic and the casing is usually sheet steel.
I have taken one apart and the diffuser is acrylic I think, etched similar to an LGP anyway, but obviously is much cheaper. I was thinking of cutting just the etched acrylic not the entire Light Panel unit :)

Just cant find a supplier as I don't know exactly what it is

Hi Jenni,

I've tinkered with diffusing LEDs using roughed up acrylic sheet. It was a long time ago and the LEDs I had weren't great, but I got reasonable results. I have just looked on-line and found a company called SimplyPlastics who would (unless I got it wrong) sell me a 600x600mm panel, with radiused corners, drilled holes for around £35.

Cut to Size Acrylic (Perspex) Sheet, Tube & Rod - Simply Plastics - https://www.simplyplastics.com/

I obviously don't know your exact specs, exactly what you're trying to achieve or in fact whether you've already tried it, but what about having the artwork standing slightly proud of the wall and using the LED strips to illuminate the wall, doing away with some form of diffuser? If they are too close to the edge, you may well see hotspots from individual chips, but if they are set further in you may be able to get rid of that effect. Just a thought :)

Hi Jenni,

I've tinkered with diffusing LEDs using roughed up acrylic sheet. It was a long time ago and the LEDs I had weren't great, but I got reasonable results. I have just looked on-line and found a company called SimplyPlastics who would (unless I got it wrong) sell me a 600x600mm panel, with radiused corners, drilled holes for around £35.

Cut to Size Acrylic (Perspex) Sheet, Tube & Rod - Simply Plastics - https://www.simplyplastics.com/

I obviously don't know your exact specs, exactly what you're trying to achieve or in fact whether you've already tried it, but what about having the artwork standing slightly proud of the wall and using the LED strips to illuminate the wall, doing away with some form of diffuser? If they are too close to the edge, you may well see hotspots from individual chips, but if they are set further in you may be able to get rid of that effect. Just a thought :)
Oh Interesting, I havent tried roughing up any acrylic yet! Did you edge light this or light it from behind? I have tried illuminating from behind and always have that problem with hotspots unless I position the artwork fairly far from the wall, which none of my clients want. They all want something super thin and perfectly even illumination! Not asking much there eh :)

If memory serves, I radiused the edge I wanted to illuminate and roughed up the area I wanted the light to come from with a fine grit sandpaper, then lit it with a round 5mm LED that I sank into the acrylic and epoxied into place.

How much illumination do you want? Electro-luminescent wire sprang to mind as well when I was reading your post. Or possibly even an opaque rope light. The EL wire is fairly thin and provides a pretty consistent illumination along it's length. Comes in a number of colours. Never used it though.

Reply to LGP For Edge Lighting LEDS in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net