Discuss Life after napit part 2 in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I too left NAPIT a while ago, very disillusioned with them.
I've done a few domestic jobs and when asked for a 'Part P' cert I give them the Minor Works / Electrical Installation certificate. They accept it without question.
MY work is always done to the book and I always test and produce certification. There is not a court in the land who'll prosecute anyone for doing a job correctly.

.....I've done a few domestic jobs and when asked for a 'Part P' cert I give them the Minor Works / Electrical Installation certificate. They accept it without question....

But do you advise them that you're not notifying any notifiable jobs to LABC and that its their responsibility to do so or potentially be prosecuted?

Recalling from past info, I was under the impression that if you belong to a scheme then it is your responsibility to inform Building Control. If you are not part of a scheme then it is the householders or persons ordering the works responsibility to inform Building Control.
Happy to be corrected.

Prosecuted by who for what crime?

Unless I've got it terribly wrong, failing to reported a notifiable job under the building regs becomes a criminal offence and the householder is responsible for reporting said notifiable job. LABC are the ones who can supposedly start instigating any action .....

....If you are not part of a scheme then it is the householders or persons ordering the works responsibility to inform Building Control.

Correct but if you complete the work knowing you aren't going to report said work and it should be reported, have you informed the householder they need to do it under the regulations. No legal obligation for you to do so, ignorance of the law is no excuse on the householders part, but knowing it should be reported I would suggest there is a moral obligation on the electrician to just confirm with the householder they know they should be reporting it? If they dont want to thats their call ......

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless I've got it terribly wrong, failing to reported a notifiable job under the building regs becomes a criminal offence and the householder is responsible for reporting said notifiable job. LABC are the ones who can supposedly start instigating

Can you cite any precedent where a successful prosecution has been brought against anyone for carrying out, or employing someone to carry out, electrical installation work in compliance with BS7671 and industry best practice?

Can you cite any precedent where a successful prosecution has been brought against anyone for carrying out, or employing someone to carry out, electrical installation work in compliance with BS7671 and industry best practice?

I'm sure if you carry-out work IAW BS7671 you will be almost bomb-proof for any prosecution against your workmanship. However, not reporting that work where it should be reported under the building regs is a different kettle of fish. That said I dont know of anyone who has been prosecuted under the building regs for not notifying work or even heard of anyone being prosecuted ........

Correct but if you complete the work knowing you aren't going to report said work and it should be reported, have you informed the householder they need to do it under the regulations. No legal obligation for you to do so, ignorance of the law is no excuse on the householders part, but knowing it should be reported I would suggest there is a moral obligation on the electrician to just confirm with the householder they know they should be reporting it? If they dont want to thats their call ......

Agreed - put the ball in their court, include a small section on the quotation and that should be the Electrician covered.

Last edited:
All the usual speil about you should tell the home owner if you are aware of in needing to be notified. What a load of baloney, do you tell people who are speeding that they are also breaking the law and could be prosecuted?

Unless I've got it terribly wrong, failing to reported a notifiable job under the building regs becomes a criminal offence and the householder is responsible for reporting said notifiable job. LABC are the ones who can supposedly start instigating any action .....
the person carrying out the works is responsible for notification if you read the legislation rather than going on EF folk law.

and can only self certify if a member of a self certification scheme... by the letter of the law, although building control do have discretion on that.

So what works fine with one council may land you in trouble with another, not saying it will, but it could, either way it's entirely at BCs discretion whether to do you or not

....the person carrying out the works is responsible for notification if you read the legislation .....

I think you may well be right. Having had a quick gallop thro' the legislation rather than relying on the interpretation of the governing bodies it would appear the person doing the work has to report it. But even 'electrical safety first' muddies the waters ... "By law, the homeowner or landlord must be able to prove that all electrical installation work meets Part P, or they will be committing a criminal offence" .... it doesn't say they have to report it, just prove it, presumably by receiving the LABC certificate once the installer has reported it!!

I can see a "no-win-no-fee" opportunity here for poor distressed houseowners who not having had their notifiable work reported have subsequently been traumatised by unscrupulous https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...a=X&ei=NANAVM_ZMeuV7AabwoCQAg&ved=0CBwQvwUoAAelectricans who have failed to meet their legal requirements ......

I can see a "no-win-no-fee" opportunity here for poor distressed houseowners who not having had their notifiable work reported have subsequently been traumatised by unscrupulous electricans who have failed to meet their legal requirements ......

Where about does this become our requirement?

I'm as confused as hell, you say your 19, just finished college with a full level 3 C&G 2365, now how did you manage to do that on a standard 1 day a week basis??

Napit doesn't accept a C&G level 3, electrical core qualification, but accepts a electrical trainee course????

Eng, the C&G 2365 is a 3 day a week course. It is a technical qual. It replaced the old 2330. Its not an apprenticeship. It takes two years I think.

Jay

Last edited:
This is spot on.....how much does it cost to get BC involved ?
I hate the fact these bodies have to check my work and get payed to do so!!!
I just did my inspection and testing in the hope i can be free......Its a joke that a fully qualified spark is in the same situation as a DIYer with no clue what he is doing.......!!!!

How do you get on with building control ? I would love to do the same ........any advice would be good

If you look at the flow chart for notifiable work a fully qualified spark is treated the same as someone doing DIY with NO knowledge at all!!
Its a joke ...........Nice eic and napit are just money making schemes and are a bloody disgrace!!!
In my view if your a FULLY qualified spark with your test & inspect under your belt thats all you should need !!!
Part P was a big mistake ..none of this has got rid of cowboys in fact its given them credibility ......im sure like me you have all come across their poor workman ship !
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Eng, the C&G 2365 is a 3 day a week course. It is a technical qual. It replaced the old 2330. Its not an apprenticeship. It takes two years I think.

Jay
the 2356 is the old nvq and the nvq is now the 2357 nvq diploma bassically 2330+2356= nvq+tech cert for one fee.

it gets confusing because 2356 is a tech cert but 2365 is an nvq and easy to mistake it because of a typo

Reply to Life after napit part 2 in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock