Discuss Light and ceiling fan split in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

AGSC2022

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

DIY homeowner here in South Carolina. I have a question regarding wiring some lights and a fan.

I’m replacing an old ceiling fan. It has 14/3 running to the box. The old fan has 3 switches wired. One controlling the fan and two more controlling the lights on the fan.

I’d like to add a new fan and recessed lights around the fan. Can I install a box in the ceiling and split the hot wires, one to the fan and another to the string of lights? And splice the neutrals back at the box? My understanding is many newer fans only have two wires.

Thanks,
AG

I don't see why not but @Megawatt will know if it breaches any US Codes.

Reactions: DPG
Hello,

DIY homeowner here in South Carolina. I have a question regarding wiring some lights and a fan.

I’m replacing an old ceiling fan. It has 14/3 running to the box. The old fan has 3 switches wired. One controlling the fan and two more controlling the lights on the fan.

I’d like to add a new fan and recessed lights around the fan. Can I install a box in the ceiling and split the hot wires, one to the fan and another to the string of lights? And splice the neutrals back at the box? My understanding is many newer fans only have two wires.

Thanks,
AG
Newer fans have a black, white and blue wires plus a ground and the blue is for the light. If you install your lighting and want to get your power from your fan the just add your new wiring and hook everything to your existing wiring at your fan. Since you have 14/3 and 3 way switching you need to be careful because you are going to have a red wire which you will need to hook to at your fan. If you encounter problems just let us know and we will walk you through your problem. Good luck

Newer fans have a black, white and blue wires plus a ground and the blue is for the light. If you install your lighting and want to get your power from your fan the just add your new wiring and hook everything to your existing wiring at your fan. Since you have 14/3 and 3 way switching you need to be careful because you are going to have a red wire which you will need to hook to at your fan. If you encounter problems just let us know and we will walk you through your problem. Good luck
Thanks y’all! I appreciate the helpful feedback.

If I’m moving the old fan away from the switch, I’m not sure I’ll have enough existing 14/3 to reach the new fan location. Since newer fans still have 3 wires, can I place a box somewhere in the ceiling closer to the switch and run a new stretch of 14/3 to the new load? And still tie the new recessed lights into the blue/red circuit using a common neutral back to the switch?

Thanks, AG

Thanks y’all! I appreciate the helpful feedback.

If I’m moving the old fan away from the switch, I’m not sure I’ll have enough existing 14/3 to reach the new fan location. Since newer fans still have 3 wires, can I place a box somewhere in the ceiling closer to the switch and run a new stretch of 14/3 to the new load? And still tie the new recessed lights into the blue/red circuit using a common neutral back to the switch?

Thanks, AG
Yes you can add a junction box and make your splices there and install a cover for the box

Yes you can add a junction box and make your splices there and install a cover for the box
Thanks again for the advice. Finally got into the attic, and everything works with the exception of one of the 3-way switches that needs replaced.

As far as the box where I spliced in the new recessed lights, does it matter where that gets mounted? I tried mounting it about 6” up a truss above the Sheetrock. I had trouble with the nails, so I need to shore it up, but while I’m going back up there I figured I’d ask if there is any code that dictates where they get mounted. As long as it remains accessible, does it matter?

And on a similar topic, I’ve noticed a lot of romex is stapled to the trusses to secure them. Is this best practice or following code? From my research, it’s an “inaccessible” space because the attic doesn’t have permanent stairs/ladders and only an area with 6’ of the access point requires securing of cables. I’m probably going to get on of those romex staplers tomorrow, but was just curious how crazy I need to go with securing the cables.

AG

Thanks again for the advice. Finally got into the attic, and everything works with the exception of one of the 3-way switches that needs replaced.

As far as the box where I spliced in the new recessed lights, does it matter where that gets mounted? I tried mounting it about 6” up a truss above the Sheetrock. I had trouble with the nails, so I need to shore it up, but while I’m going back up there I figured I’d ask if there is any code that dictates where they get mounted. As long as it remains accessible, does it matter?

And on a similar topic, I’ve noticed a lot of romex is stapled to the trusses to secure them. Is this best practice or following code? From my research, it’s an “inaccessible” space because the attic doesn’t have permanent stairs/ladders and only an area with 6’ of the access point requires securing of cables. I’m probably going to get on of those romex staplers tomorrow, but was just curious how crazy I need to go with securing the cables.

AG
As far as mounting the junction box, use 1/4 inch plastic anchors. Location of the box is fine as long as it is accessible. No need to buy a stapler, just buy a box of staples and use a hammer. Staple the wire every 4 feet by code. Good job my friend.

Reply to Light and ceiling fan split in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net