Discuss Light and socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

just a quick question can I power my outside light from the inside lights direct or do I need to take the feed from the inside to a switched fcu then to the outside. Same question for a outside socket also thanks

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
just a quick question can I power my outside light from the inside lights direct or do I need to take the feed from the inside to a switched fcu then to the outside. Same question for a outside socket also thanks
You can take a radial off the downstairs ring, into a SFCU (this protects thr cable and gives a local point of isolation if water gets in the fittings), same for an outdoor socket; radial off the ring into a SFCU then on to your socket/light fixture (choose as you want)

westward10

Esteemed
Reaction score
Personally I would keep the porch light to a lighting circuit however ensure the circuit has 30ma rcd protection. The socket can be connected direct to the ring final circuit but it needs verifying the socket you connect from is incorporated into the ring final and not a spur itself, again check for 30ma rcd protection.

Reply to Light and socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

M
Evening all, Hope your doing well. After some opinions, friend of mine has recently moved into a new (for him) house and the porch lights kept tripping the RCD, checked it out and someone had added the porch light but had the N going back the the earth. I’ve said that I can fit a quinetic...
Replies
Views
MattBaigent
M
B
Hi All Recently came across an interesting situation whereby a client wanted some extra sockets and lights in the garden. The current lights are fed from a spur run in 2.5mm SWA and buried for approx 3m across a lawn to existing installation of two single sockets and some floods in the borders...
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix
Wiring up an outside socket , light switch and light all outside , under a covered way and attached to the house. All weatherproof obviously and in conduit , spur in the kitchen to the outside socket and then from the socket to a 3amp fuse (used as switch) and then to the light. Is that the...
Replies
Views
brianmoooore
B
J
  • Question
Hello. We bought a 1966 house recently. 1 outside light at our side door was old/broken so I bought a replacement. Before removing the light I used a voltage tester so I’d know which breaker to shut off. That didn’t work. I unscrewed the fixture from the wall, and found the light wired and...
Replies
Views
Megawatt
Megawatt
P
I have installed outside socket by spuring of a socket from inside the house..(straight off the back of it. No distance). I am now wanting to put an outside socket at the bottom of the garden roughly 20 metres away for a hot tub or speakers etc..... I have bought 6mm 3 core armoured cable...
Replies
Views
Pquarmby
P

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends

E
  • Article
Want to become a qualified electrician? Look carefully at the training courses on offer to avoid wasting time and money, is the advice in a new campaign from electrical industry body The Electrotechnical Skills Partnership (TESP). With thousands of searches each year on terms such as...
Replies
Views
Marty92
Dan
  • Article
You can now link your account with social media by going to the following page. https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/connected-accounts/ We had this feature some time ago but I removed it when Facebook was found to be selling the data they collected without informing the users of what...
Replies
Views
Dan
Dan
  • Article
There was a dodgy advert, typical clickbait, showing "how to save 90% on your electricity bill" which was not the case and it was actually showing some dangerous wiring tactics. Read the actual threads here:- What should be the code for this - C2 or C3 -...
Replies
Views
Jurassic Sparks
Jurassic Sparks
James
  • Article
The Go Plus hot tub is being recalled because you could get electrocuted taking a dip, according to press releases from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI). An Amazon spokesperson said: "Safety is a top priority at Amazon. "We require all products offered in our store to comply...
Replies
Views
Dave Appleby
D
Dan
  • Article
Posted on behalf of @CKI:C.K-Tools Carl Kammerling International Ltd, also known to as ‘CKI’, are the company behind the C.K Tools brand. Founded in Germany in 1904 and with roots stretching back to 1790, we provide a wide range of hand tools, tool storage, power tool accessories and...
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix

Search Forum

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.