Discuss Light circuit from 16A Radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

Scenerio : a JB that feeds a couple of lights ! , (nothing else) in a small Barn Building ( storage use only ) , it is fed via a SWA 2.5mm2 from a 63A RCCB , CU via a 16A mcb ( feeding 2 double sockets ) in the main storage barn shed , there is no isolator in the small barn , I am wanting to put in a double socket along with a LED floodlight ( outside the building ) what would I need to do , the lights they obviously need a 5A protection , and would it also need a isolator in the building itself ? .

cheers

spike

Lighting circuits incorporating B15, B22, E14, E27 or E40 lampholders can be protected by a device not exceeding 16A. Hard wired fittings such as fluorescent fittings there is no specific requirements. In either case the size of cable to the lighting must relate to the protective device. Is the rcd at the supply end 30ma.

Sorry, don't know if I am having a blonde moment, but is the 2.5mm2 swa 'protected' by a 63A overcurrent device in your description?

Sorry, don't know if I am having a blonde moment, but is the 2.5mm2 swa 'protected' by a 63A overcurrent device in your description?

The 2.5mm is wired back to the 16A breaker.

There is no 63A overcurrent device in the description, there is only a 16A overcurrent device in the description.
The 63A device is a residual current device.

There is no 63A overcurrent device in the description, there is only a 16A overcurrent device in the description.
The 63A device is a residual current device.

it is fed via a SWA 2.5mm2 from a 63A RCCB ,

The OP does state it's a RCCB (residual current circuit breaker) and not a RCD.

The OP does state it's a RCCB (residual current circuit breaker) and not a RCD.

But an RCCB is an RCD.
RCD is the general term for a device which provides residual current protection,this can be an RCCB, RCBO, SRCD, CBR and other acronyms.

An RCCB is what most people would normally, but technically incorrectly, refer to as an RCD, they provide residual current protection only.

You might want to edit the post @Spike1947 and remove the links. It will cause confusion.
They get put after you do a Copy/Paste from this site.

Reply to Light circuit from 16A Radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net