Discuss Light fittings and type D mcbs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jjnr78

Hi all. I'm facing a little problem. We have fitted some light fittings that prefer type D mcbs (manufacturer said type c probably ok, but they are tripping). Unfortunately Hager do not make a type D breaker for my 17th ed CU. any ideas how to overcome the issue?
thanks

Hi all. I'm facing a little problem. We have fitted some light fittings that prefer type D mcbs (manufacturer said type c probably ok, but they are tripping). Unfortunately Hager do not make a type D breaker for my 17th ed CU. any ideas how to overcome the issue?
thanks
Can you let us know what type of light fitting it is? a D type mcb is the wrong type IMHO for lighting, much more suitible for heavy industrial items LOL

Also, circuit rating, number of fittings per circuit and the switching configuration (e.g. are they all switched together). Is there anything else on the circuit?

What is your lighting design, it seems from initial assumptions their is a lack of design criteria to this circuit with regard to inductive accumulative inrush of multiple fittings that are energised together....

Does the MCB trip when lighting is switched on or after its been on a while?

Will fitting a type D invariably give you none compliance to trip times under S/C conditions?

As you suggest you are on a 17th edition board with no type D's for it i must conclude you have a domestic board .... can you supply all the info' touched upon from your replies.

Sorry guys, not enough info:
it's the mains voltage LED wall washers causing the problem. Also the circuit needs 30mA RCD protection. It's designed for a 10A. I'll have to check exact loadings as it was one of team with the issue not me.

- - - Updated - - -

All tested too...and checked again. Everything is clear

Have you accounted for inductive loading?
The lamp wattage isn't key to the inrush nature of the driver so it isn't proportional to how much load the circuit pulls, its the number of units that are energised simultaneously that is what you need to account for - if you have simply loaded up the lamp wattage and converted to amps you will not have designed the circuit correctly...

The mcb will have Tech' references as to how many lamps maybe switched on of a given lamp type this is usually available for free online this is the first step to designing your lighting circuit... I really wish colleges would teach students this and not leave it to advanced courses ... it ill prepares so many new Sparkies out their to which you may find at your cost....

I don't like to do all the work ;) for them... regardless of the 1.8 factor mcb have a limited tolerance to accumulative inrush which within the domestic realm isn't usually an issue well until you get one with lots of down lights LED or ELV and one switch.

Type D MCB's on lighting circuits?? I hope you're Zs values up upto scratch to use them kiddies, or are you going to rely on RCD's as is now commonly seen??

As others have pointed out, get the design right and you'll have no problems using type B's or C's...

Another very frustrating thread, I feel like I need to kick next doors cat, why oh why do an OP let a thread die without further explanation? They come on and ask a question, we ask a few back so we can help and they disappear. There is no abuse or nasty comments here and yet boom they have vanished.

Reply to Light fittings and type D mcbs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock