Discuss Light stays on???? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chrisgc

Hi all,

I was taking out some old uplifter lights and replacing with just normal angle types - situation is this:-

2 x lights controlled by 1 switch.
1 light has just the normal earth/neutral/line wires connected yet the other light has 4 sets of cables coming out.

I have re-wired up but hard to tell on the cabling where there is 4 cables coming out the wall how they have to be wired into the new angled lamp holder.

When I rewired it back i rewired all the earth to the earth terminal, one neutral to as a switched line then the reamaining neutrals to neutral terminal and the 4 lines from the cables out the wall in loop.

Switched light on one works but the light on the other side of the room (the one with just line/neutral and earth) remains constantly on.

I think the cables are run through junction boxes on loft but access is a no go.

The 4 sets of cable poking out the hole in wall appear to have two of these cable running to lights in the adjoining room.

Can anyone tell me or point me to a diagram of how these should be connected? As I know it must surely be the way I am wiring all the wires where there are the 4 sets of cable exiting the wall which is interfering with the opposite light which is remaining on?

Thanks.

just have a think how the circuit should work, try taking switch off wall and identify where they are going... you have a tester,

just have a think how the circuit should work, try taking switch off wall and identify where they are going... you have a tester,

The switch has only one line, neutral and earth.

Just really need some kind of diagram or a step by step instructions as i have been scratching my head most of the day about it?

Anyone help??

Sounds like you have conected the other light to the to the feed and not the switched live, bell it all out to make sure.

nightmare...should of marked them, but what i think is 1set loops onto other light , 1 goes to switch and other two sets must feed two more lights, just pretend it ceiling roses there with there L,N, and loop departments and whale them in connecter block together, but other people will say use a wago..as these get good, better connections

Poirot, you gave it away.......................

Exactly the answer I would have given, as stated, think about where your wires are going and how the other light should be fed

Last edited:
The switch has only one line, neutral and earth.

Just really need some kind of diagram or a step by step instructions as i have been scratching my head most of the day about it?

Anyone help??

The highlighted bit tells me all I need to know......Get an electrician to carry out the work safely....an hour tops.

Last edited by a moderator:
The highlighted bit tells me all I need to know......Get an electrician to carry out the work safely....an hour tops.

I know what your saying about getting electrician out -I dont think the original wiring is the best setup out there BUT i want to try and figure it out myself - thats the only way to learn is'nt it.

Do understand what your saying though and appreciate any advice given.

In that case sit down with pencil and paper and do the schematic BEFORE you start playing with it , were not having a dig but too many people are complacent it's not really something you want to learn by trail and error

Chrisgc...the reason why the light stays on has already been given in a previous post...........also think carefully about your statement concerning the wires at the switch. A switch effectively joins 2 (or more) wires together,what would happen if you join a live and neutral together?
As advised by others...if you want to work it out for yourself sit down with a paper and pencil and draw a circuit diagram based on the cables you know you have in place....all will become clear.

Thanks guys - and I do mean it.

I do understand when someone says get an electrician out that they mean it with good intentions - hate things defeating me - which is probably the same for most people here which is why you like sorting out peoples problems.

Thanks again and dont worry I do take safety precautions like not working live and using proving units etc.

Clues.....From your description,

1.there is NO neutral at the switch

2. your second light needs the red wire moving to the switch live same as the first light

Last edited:

Reply to Light stays on???? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock