Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Light Switch - can I use for switching a main socket lamp? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

abeadhami

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all,

new to the forum. I have bought a standard 1-way dimmer light switch and was wondering if I can use this with my mains connected floor-standing lamp. Basically, the lamp has the standard LIVE and NEUTRAL wiring.

Question:

Can I cut the wire that comes from the lamp into the mains wall socket and fix the dimmer switch into it?? I would have a LIVE and NEUTRAL comming into the dimmer swtich from the mains and a LIVE and NEUTRAL comming out of it into the lamp. Is that possible?? The lamp is 100w and the dimmer says it is capable of up to 250w. However, I have a feeling that it is only for the proper home lighting circut (i.e. for the lights in the ceilling!)

thanks
Abe

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
T

TPES

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
NO!! you cant connect a standard 13a dp socket outlet to a lighting circuit..

However..... you can feed a special 3 round pin 5a socket made for Bedside lamps etc ONLY.. as pictured below..

My mistake... I've totally read your thread wrong... sorry.. my answer above doesnt relate to your question.. Soz

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

new to the forum. I have bought a standard 1-way dimmer light switch and was wondering if I can use this with my mains connected floor-standing lamp. Basically, the lamp has the standard LIVE and NEUTRAL wiring.

Question:

Can I cut the wire that comes from the lamp into the mains wall socket and fix the dimmer switch into it?? I would have a LIVE and NEUTRAL comming into the dimmer swtich from the mains and a LIVE and NEUTRAL comming out of it into the lamp. Is that possible?? The lamp is 100w and the dimmer says it is capable of up to 250w. However, I have a feeling that it is only for the proper home lighting circut (i.e. for the lights in the ceilling!)

thanks
Abe
don't see why not.There might be a minumum load specified on your dimmer also.You simply switch the live thru your dimmer,the neutral you would have to join with a connector block.Your dimmer switch could be mounted on a surface mounted single box and your cables in and out of the box should be secured with suitable stuffing glands.Its probably best to give some thought to where you will locate it ,away from possible spilled drinks etc,maybe wall mount it.

A

Adam W

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If it's coming off a power circuit it would need to be fused; probably the neatest way of doing it would be to use a 3 gang grid, one with a fuse carrier, one with a grid dimmer and the other a flex outlet.
However it would be cheaper and easier to use one of those thingies Smugley suggested.

Reply to Light Switch - can I use for switching a main socket lamp? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
Top Bottom