Discuss Light switch height in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Suet33

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

Having my flat re-wires. It’s on the first floor, with no disabled access. Electrician is saying light switches have to be a max of 1200mm from floor (about 400mm lower than their current position!). I realise that this is the standard for new builds - but does it apply to old properties being re-wired? (and, if so, what reg does this come under?). I really don’t want my switches that low!

Thanks for your help

The height stated is a requirement of the building regulations, not the wiring regulations.
There is no requirement to apply building regulations heights when the work extends to just a rewire.

tell the spark its not requirement unless the roofs taken off ,still the same Hight has before unless you ask him .

So if the roof
The height stated is a requirement of the building regulations, not the wiring regulations.
There is no requirement to apply building regulations heights when the work extends to just a rewire.

So if he left them the current height he can still sign the job off without any issues?
[automerge]1568831941[/automerge]
So if the roof

So if he left them the current height he can still sign the job off without any issues?

We are also having it re-plumbed and re-plastered - but presume that wouldn’t bring the wiring under building regs?

as andy and others have said. your house, you decide what height you want sockets and switches (within reason). ask the electrician what regulation says 1200mm. as said before, it's for new builds and does not apply in your case.

You might be happier with another electrician at this point. If you are struggling to agree at this stage you be in for more trouble down the line. Sorry to say. Hopefully I am wrong

Let's be honest - regardless of whether it's required in these circumstances, it's good practice to fit them at these heights. So I certainly wouldn't be overly critical of the Electrician.

In the south of Ireland it's part of the Wiring Rules and therefore must be done in all circumstances, including adding an extra point to an existing installation - even where this results in a mismatch of heights. Personally I don't agree with this idea of rewiring the entire place but keeping the old heights - it seems wrong and lazy to me. But by all means ask him if he's willing to do it that way.

sockets 450 min from floor is sensible.... less back bending even for able-bodied. the 1200mm for light switches is stupid except for e.g. wheelchair users. why on earth fit light switches where a 4 year old child can reach them? and i want to switch a light on using my fingers, not my ****.

and (dan) the stars were put in by me, not the swear filter. readers make of it what you willie

Own flat but council lease
then it's your choice. get a sharpie. put an X on the wall/s where you want the switches. if sparks argues, sack him.

if you want to be really posh, specify Quinetic . then you can fit switches wherever, even on the window glass.

Thanks for all the comments - I phoned the local building control dept this morning and he was very clear that these heights are the new British Standard and, as such, even a re wire must conform if you want it signed off!!! Looks like We’re stuck with it - despite being on the first floor of a block without a lift (where a wheelchair user could never live!!). PC gone mad!!!

he's incorrect. it is not a new british standard. it is a building regulation for new build homes.designed for use by persons with limited reach. both your building control guy and your sparks are wrong. switches should be placed according to existing positions or lower, as long as they are no less accessible than they were before.

Thanks for all the comments - I phoned the local building control dept this morning and he was very clear that these heights are the new British Standard and, as such, even a re wire must conform if you want it signed off!!! Looks like We’re stuck with it - despite being on the first floor of a block without a lift (where a wheelchair user could never live!!). PC gone mad!!!
He is absolutely wrong. They often are. Ignore this opinion as the electrician will be "signing off" the rewire themselves. Your local building control merely get informed the work has been done and complies by the electrician's scheme.

Reply to Light switch height in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock