Discuss Light switch in bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am not an electrician but I had my bathroom re done and a electrician replaced my light pull cord with a switch it is 1.4m away from my bath I was told this was ok. I have had another electrician come out for another job and has been in my bathroom and said it needs to be a pull cord and isn’t allowed

A plate switch is permitted as long as it is greater than 0.6m away from the edge of a bath or shower. However the rooms environment al conditions and use have to be taken into account - it might not be a good idea to use a plate switch in a bathroom that suffers with high levels of condensation or humidity for example.

Difficult question for the OP, but is the lighting circuit RCD protected, perhaps a picture of you CU (sorry fuse box) would help.

A plate switch in a steamy bathroom never sits well with me. And far too easy for someone dropping wet through to operate it.

I say minimise the risks.

Nothing at all wrong with a plate switch in a domestic bathroom. There is, and never has been, any regulation preventing it. The original regulation was that it shouldn't be placed within reach of a person using a shower or bath, and this was relatively recently changed to the 0.6m regulation mentioned above (which in practice, is much closer than permitted by the original reg.)
I have never fitted a cord switch in any bathroom or shower where the regs could be satisfied by a plate switch, and have NEVER had a single instance of a customer complaining of even the mildest electric shock from a switch.
I have, however, had several cases of other electricians, like in the OPs case, complaining that it's not allowed, including the QS of a large local electrical contractors. This happened on the single occasion that I've had to use a third party to sign of a new build to the local authority, after a state of war had existed between the builder of the property and the LA.

If a switch is positioned just outside a bathroom, it will have the benefit of being more protected from a poorly ventilated room, but will not stop some dope opening the door and using the switch with wet hands.

How often does anyone get out of the bath or shower without at least whipping down a bit to stop dripping water all over the floor, damp hands on a light switch may be, but dripping hands ? not forgetting operating the light switch to turn it off means you are ready to leave the room by witch time you have dried off.

Nothing at all wrong with a plate switch in a domestic bathroom. There is, and never has been, any regulation preventing it. The original regulation was that it shouldn't be placed within reach of a person using a shower or bath, and this was relatively recently changed to the 0.6m regulation mentioned above (which in practice, is much closer than permitted by the original reg.)
I have never fitted a cord switch in any bathroom or shower where the regs could be satisfied by a plate switch, and have NEVER had a single instance of a customer complaining of even the mildest electric shock from a switch.
I have, however, had several cases of other electricians, like in the OPs case, complaining that it's not allowed, including the QS of a large local electrical contractors. This happened on the single occasion that I've had to use a third party to sign of a new build to the local authority, after a state of war had existed between the builder of the property and the LA.

How often does anyone get out of the bath or shower without at least whipping down a bit to stop dripping water all over the floor, damp hands on a light switch may be, but dripping hands ? not forgetting operating the light switch to turn it off means you are ready to leave the room by witch time you have dried off.

It's more the other way around. If it has got dark and someone switches the light on to get dried.

Not saying it shouldn't be allowed, but it seems a sensible thing to minimise the risk and either use a pull cord or maybe a kinetic switch or similar perhaps.

.......means you are ready to leave the room by witch time you have dried off.
More often than not, the switches I fit are multiple ones, for more than one light and to control an extractor fan. This is the case in my own main bathroom, and occasionally I step out of the shower, realise I forgot to turn the fan on, and switch it with a dripping hand. Never a hint of a tingle.

pull cords are sooo 70's, along with purple walls and artex.

Someone getting in a bath when light is good, spending a long time in the bath until ambient light has decreased and whipping a door open to switch the light on before continuing to get dried etc.
Most normal people wont, but you cant fix stupid with some.
Edit: Not meant to be aimed at you Brianmooore :)

Someone has been in the bath so long it has got dark. ?. Oh of course the 101 candles have gone out as well. ?

This could run and run, there are obviously two camps on this, lets all agree our own preference is the best way.

More often than not, the switches I fit are multiple ones, for more than one light and to control an extractor fan. This is the case in my own main bathroom, and occasionally I step out of the shower, realise I forgot to turn the fan on, and switch it with a dripping hand. Never a hint of a tingle.

Yeah I get your point. Although to say something is OK because you've never had a tingle is not a convincing argument ?

Yeah I get your point. Although to say something is OK because you've never had a tingle is not a convincing argument ?
Nor any of my customers. It's not a conclusive argument, but it is evidence.
I remember reading some promotional blurb once, from Crabtree, IIRC, when they introduced the 4000 range, about the way they had redesigned the area around the plate and rocker, compared to the 2000 series, to make their plate switches even more resistant to water ingress.
I remember a Greek hotel room several years ago, where the light switch was right beside the shower valve in the 'wet room' style shower.

Reply to Light switch in bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock