Discuss Light switch in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just double checking with you guys on the following because I keep doubting myself based on what I was taight and the regs;

Wired up a bathroom recently in an extension and customer requested a light switch on the wall, checked the obvious in the regs and by my understanding you are allowed them in outside zones though I generally advise pull cords or switch outside which I learnt during my apprenticeship. Now the bathroom I did was quite big and the switch is in a mini corridor entrance to the bathroom and about 2 metres from the boundary of zone 1. But in the regs all I can see that outside zone is limited to is socket outlets 3 metres away otherwise general rules apply.

(Before I get crucified, I finished my apprenticeship 6 months ago and am going it alone, nerve racking enough without experienced fella's telling me I am incompetent and should jack it in and get an office job lol)

Cheers

This is purely my personal opinion but I won't fit a socket in a bathroom regardless of whether it meets the 3 metre rule or not. This is because I just don't think its right or necessary.
On the same note I wouldn't fit a switch other than a pull-switch in a bathroom.

Trust your training and knowledge and don't be bullied by nasty clients who think they know best. The advantage here is that 99% of the general public know that sockets and switches aren't allowed in the bathroom so i'm more than happy for them to continue in that belief as i'm sure most of us are.

i agree with what you say to be honest as it's what I was taught. client was really insistent about wall switch though so i rang the NICEIC for clarification and they were pretty useless and just said ''just put it in limitations on your certificate'' that will cover you for it. not the greatest 'technical' helpline

I don't care how big the bathroom is, MY rule is NO skts or wall switches in a bathroom. people tend to use it, if it is available to use. If you install pull cord or sw o/s of bathroom that's the way it will be used. put a skt in a bathroom and you are telling them its ok to use. And who knows what they will use it for.

use common sense... no sockets because of hair dryers dropped into bath full of water etc ...
IP rated switch should not make that big of a big problem.
another option to be on a very safe side would be a contactor/relay somewhere out of the way, and a bathroom switch running on 12v selv.

I personally prefer a pull cord.if there's a switch outside the bathroom, when someone's in there, some people have a habit of playing silly buggers and switching it off.

or is that just me...

in reality, who the hell would want an ip rated light switch in their bathroom anyway. I've never had a customer that's said, oh yeah, I'd rather have that than a pull cord or a switch just outside the door.
out of curiosity- how many of you in here would have an ip rated switch in their own bathroom?

in reality, who the hell would want an ip rated light switch in their bathroom anyway. I've never had a customer that's said, oh yeah, I'd rather have that than a pull cord or a switch just outside the door.
out of curiosity- how many of you in here would have an ip rated switch in their own bathroom?

why not give the customer the option of a pir as well then?

I have a wall switch in my Shower room, I feel little or no danger because of its location :wink5:

I can understand doubts about the potential for abuse of sockets located in a Bathroom,fused spurs are different story

A light switch seems to be hardly the death trap that is warned of by many
If a light switch worries you,fit one of these IP65 Isolator Switch 40A | NoLinkingToThis

Reply to Light switch in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net