Discuss Light switch issue in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Stay clear. If someone has had a major shock it can be treated as an emergency. Contact the builder and tell him the situation. If things are as his electrician left them he could well be liable and should get there ASAP.
Your mum could have found you on the floor.
Obviously, think of covid isolation.

Stay clear. If someone has had a major shock it can be treated as an emergency. Contact the builder and tell him the situation. If things are as his electrician left them he could well be liable and should get there ASAP.
Your mum could have found you on the floor.
Obviously, think of covid isolation.

ok I’ll ring them first thing in morning but won’t hold out much hope for them coming out to fix it any time soon. Waited weeks for them to fix a problem when there wasn’t an outbreak previously
[automerge]1586973124[/automerge]
ok I’ll ring them first thing in morning but won’t hold out much hope for them coming out to fix it any time soon. Waited weeks for them to fix a problem when there wasn’t an outbreak previously

what’s a major shock?
ive been shocked a few times in the past but this was worst, knocked me to the floor nearly went through a glass shower screen

[automerge]1586973124[/automerge]

what’s a major shock?
ive been shocked a few times in the past but this was worst, knocked me to the floor nearly went through a glass shower screen
is the shower screen OK? :p :p :p.

I think it is a fan pull switch but most of those have earth terminals.
The switch seems to have a metal strap linking the screw rivets so it will definitely have an earth terminal. Though the earth wires might not actually be earth if the OP got a shock off of them?!

My other thought, the light switch cable now has a screw in it from when the new switches back box was fitted. the screw has shorted all 3 conductors together, the blue and brown are shorted keeping the light on all the time, the 'earth' wire is also connected to these wires making it live giving the OP a shock when it was touched. The earth wires not connected at fittings may be a sign the earth wires are not continuous back to the main earth terminal, so no protective device has operated. Or the now damaged switch cable has a severed earth wire, but this is probably unlikely.
That's my armchair diagnosis anyway!

I would strongly advise calling the electrician in and not touching it again as it may be unsafe. Please do let us know what the outcome/fault is/was!

Reply to Light switch issue in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net