Discuss light switch / light istallation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

billathome65

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi been a while since I posted. I sorted my previous lighting issue out in the pantry I have a query on another task.

I currently have a one gang light switch in one room and in another area I have run a new cable for yet another light I was wanting to wire this to the existing switch with a new two gang. Can I put a bridge wire from L1 to L1 on the two gang then wire the new cable to the second gang that ive bridged to?

Cheers

Last edited:
TBH, if you are asking this question, i'd advise getting a qualifies spark to do this job. WADR i don't consider you are competent to do it.

Dont understand your post at all ..... a pic may help but as Tel says its an easy job if you know what you are doing!

Im a thick engineer, it needs to be explained to me three times and then I need to see a pretty picture of it before I can understand! Then Im on to it in a flash .....

what I ment was I have the existing wire runing to a switch which is running one light ( so on that the block is com and L1. I want to run the second light independantly using that live feed

so I want to put a to instal a double switch that has two independet blocks.

I know when you are wireing a two way switch at the top of a landig you have continuouse live to com then bridge L1 and L1 then the switched live to com on the twin switch to light

was asking if I could go existing live to com then just bridge L1 to L1 on the twin switch with switch live to com.

I may not be explaining it right so will try to find a picture of the light switch I want to use.

I have replaced switches befor that are damaged but this is different.

So was just checking.

light switch / light istallation single-gang-one-way-light-switch - EletriciansForums.netlight switch / light istallation double-gang-two-way-light-switch - EletriciansForums.net

So I have the first type I wanted to wire the second type up so I bridged to give perminent live to the 2nd switch then wire out to light fitting. ( so thats Perm live to com bridge a wire from that over to com on second switch block, then existing switch wire to L1 and the new cable to the second L1 neutrals joined and Lives secured'

If thats wrong just say and I will get hold of a local spark. Simples

So you are taking a live feed from one switch to the next switch and then running this out to the new light?? That would work provided the lights are not on seperate circuits and you are introducing a 'borrowed live/neutral' between circuits.

Not too sure what you mean about joining neutral at the switch? Are you bringing a neutral in with the first switch and then using it for the second switch & light? (i.e. not 'borrowing' one for the second switch?)

Sounds like we need to place this in the DIY section ....

light switch / light istallation double-gang-two-way-light-switch - EletriciansForums.net

Thats what I mean yes in this picture I have the red black is to the new light. That's the question obviously in the picture you se the perm earth into com then bridged to second com we then have the switch live to the first so the first switch is cercuited up the second switch the red black goes to the light however in the light fitting you would have live and neutral would I have to run a neutral from the old rose to the new one and create a loop i.e as we have a new wire we have a live neutral and earth we are using the live to run to the new light from the 2nd L1 and we have it grounded Earth we then have a heutral wire that heeds to go somewhere what do I need to do?

I will try and do a picture to explain my thinking
Cheers

light switch / light istallation ceiling-lights-fig5l - EletriciansForums.net

Blue line = neutral as it's the original cercuit so effectively this is compleating the cercuite if my thinkings correct?
light blue dots = roses
does this make sence and is that the right idea? if not a picture would help to clarify for me.

I know I can just spike off from the old rose and bring it to the second sitch but i'm just thinking simpler options thats why im asking.
Cheers

You dont need to complete a "ring" with your neutral. You can pick it up from any point on the circuit. The important bit is to ensure all the lights use the same neutral and dont 'borrow' one fro another seperate lighting circuit. But what you are describing looks a tad messy to implement!

To be honest with you, it would be safer if you paid for an electrician to do this for you

Ahh right so I can just run a single neutral from the existing rose? thats where I was getting confused I thought the neutral would have to come off that wire.

A quick side question I unscrewed the old socket as I wanted to check the condition of the existing wireing and I noticed the perm live is wired into L1 and the switch wire is in com I chaecked another socket and found the perm live is in L2 and switch is in com this is the first time I have removed these switches so am confused I was under the impresion Perm iive had to go to com? The lights are working fine never the less.

To be honest with you, it would be safer if you paid for an electrician to do this for you

Hi Pete999 I hear you. I am not new to electrics it's just this was a new aproach for me and wanted to clarify my thinking. If I feel it is out of my scope don't worry I will call a spark.

Cheers

Nice one Mate good luck with your problem, shouldn't be too costly

whereabouts in manchester? if to the west, i could attend. if not archie is manchester area.

Over near Failsworth NE Mancheter.

If you have a contact number I can get in touch when I have the cash.am looking to have the whole wireing tested at some point.

Cheers

Reply to light switch / light istallation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock