Discuss Light Switch plus dimmer switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

PhilWarr

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just moved into a new house and the lights in one of the rooms don’t appear to be working, than on top of that I am rubbish at electrics. The room has a light switch as you enter the room and a dimmer switch at the other end of the room. I am not worried about the dimmer switch, from the point of view if I need to get rid of it.

For some reason the light switch doesn’t work. I have one of those screw drivers that shows if there is electricity flowing and on the light switch the brown and black cables are live as the blue and grey don’t appear to be.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how this should be wired up?

Thank you - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Phil

Attachments

• 0ECBFFB2-AAC2-4C33-8C5A-526AB6D1D33E.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 25
  • 8ADE4160-1D06-41B5-9480-72A775B94D0F.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 25
If your not confident with electrics, I’d advise finding someone who is….

but in the meantime, I would say that your dimmer is not designed to be used connected to an ordinary switch…. It says on it to be used with other DIMMER SLAVE(S)

With no guarantee, I would presume the 3 core (brown, black and grey) at the dimmer is the same cable that is at the regular switch. If those are disconnected at the switch, leaving just the other brown and blue (which should be within the same cable) connected either side of the regular switch (COM and 1-way, nothing in 2-way)….. does the light work?

Can’t see how that switching arrangemen works

you gave a one way switch to an end of line 2 way at the dimmer

I think originally it was just a one way switch. Brown line and blue switchwire (needs sleeved)
Sometime in the past, a dimmer was added by running a 3C&E between the two switch points.

I still think thats the wrong type of dimmer for straight two-way operation

If your not confident with electrics, I’d advise finding someone who is….

but in the meantime, I would say that your dimmer is not designed to be used connected to an ordinary switch…. It says on it to be used with other DIMMER SLAVE(S)

With no guarantee, I would presume the 3 core (brown, black and grey) at the dimmer is the same cable that is at the regular switch. If those are disconnected at the switch, leaving just the other brown and blue (which should be within the same cable) connected either side of the regular switch (COM and 1-way, nothing in 2-way)….. does the light work?
That worked perfectly - thanks for your help.

Regards

Reply to Light Switch plus dimmer switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net