Discuss Light switch shock help ASAP in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sclilly

DIY
Reaction score
So I'm an idiot and sprayed the light switches in my flat, not even thinking about the electrics and when my partner flicked a light switch it shocked him and the light doesn't turn off, it's just dim on the off.
I'm sat here now not being able to go to sleep because I can't just leave it like that.

Sarah

Switch the lighting circuit off at the consumer unit / fuse box and use the light on your phone to find your toothbrush.

Then in the morning get an electrician in to check the electrical things you've sprayed, switches, sockets etc.

Welcome to the forum.
Are either you or your partner and good with electrics?
Would it be possible to switch off the lighting circuit at the consumer unit without plunging the entire flat into darkness?

Not at all. We have no experience. I really don't know. I really just need to know if it's immediately dangerous?

Hard to tell.
You know not to touch the switch.
It would be good to isolate the lighting circuit but you don't want to be left in total darkness if you only have 1 lighting circuit.
Do you know where your consumer unit is?
What did you spray it with?
Do you have any table lamps you could use, if you did manage to switch the circuit off?

Hard to tell.
You know not to touch the switch.
It would be good to isolate the lighting circuit but you don't want to be left in total darkness if you only have 1 lighting circuit.
Do you know where your consumer unit is?
What did you spray it with?
Do you have any table lamps you could use, if you did manage to switch the circuit off?
It's starting to go dimmer so I guess that's a good sign?
Nope. A natural antibac cleaner from the brand method.
So it isn't the same electric with the lights and the plugs?

It's starting to go dimmer so I guess that's a good sign?
Nope. A natural antibac cleaner from the brand method.
So it isn't the same electric with the lights and the plugs?

There should be a different circuit for the lights and the plugs.
You may have just got a bit of cleaning liquid in the switch, or across the connectors at the back.
It may be doing dimmer as the liquid evaporates so you get less of a short.

So it will be okay?

If you are not intending to switch the lighting circuit off tonight I would stay clear of the switch.
As for if it's okay, it's hard to tell. The liquid or arcing may have damaged the switch. I can't tell without looking/testing. It may be fine once the switch has dried out fully.

However, there might be some carbonised residue inside the switch if it was arcing while damp. It is impossible to say from here. Even if it works now, it might be a sensible precaution to change it, in case the insulation is permanently degraded.

The second best thing to have done (first being to switch off the circuit supply at source) would have been to turn the switch on, so that the lamp was fully lit. This would have eliminated any voltage across the switch's contacts, and the subsequent tracking that might have occurred.
Tracking could still occur between the contacts and any neutrals or earthed metal nearby, but the distances are greater, so les likely.

Reply to Light switch shock help ASAP in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net