Discuss Light switch sparking only when off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Leigh2909

DIY
Reaction score
Hi I’m looking for some advice on a sparking light switch. This is only happening when the light switch is off. When it’s on there is no problem and the lights work fine

I have changed the light switch but this hasn’t helped

What exactly is sparking? Does the light flicker when it is supposed to be off? Does anything trip? What kind of switch is fitted? Are there any other connections such as a neutral loop-through in the back box?

For the switch itself to arc when off, current must either be flowing through it, in which case the light will probably flicker on, or to earth or some other exposed metal, in which case an MCB or RCD in the consumer unit is likely to trip. In any case replacing the switch should have removed the fault.

Pics needed I think...

What exactly is sparking? Does the light flicker when it is supposed to be off? Does anything trip? What kind of switch is fitted? Are there any other connections such as a neutral loop-through in the back box?

For the switch itself to arc when off, current must either be flowing through it, in which case the light will probably flicker on, or to earth or some other exposed metal, in which case an MCB or RCD in the consumer unit is likely to trip. In any case replacing the switch should have removed the fault.

Pics needed I think...

yes it flickers when it’s supposed to be off
Nothing trips and it all works fine when the switch is on
I think the spark is coming from the socket but I can also hear a buzzing noise in the cupboard behind which contains the fuse box

View attachment trim.D0DFC7D9-B6E1-45C4-B819-10F911EA5D62.MOV

Another way to describe it might be that it's flickering all the time, caused by the Live and Switch wire shorting elsewhere, maybe in the cupboard maybe the cable in the wall.
BUT when the light switch is on and the light is on, it's masking the issue.

Another way to describe it might be that it's flickering all the time, caused by the Live and Switch wire shorting elsewhere, maybe in the cupboard maybe the cable in the wall.
BUT when the light switch is on and the light is on, it's masking the issue.
Does it have to be this switch that’s causing the issue as I’ve never touched this one but a couple of others in the same room have recently been moved. These other switches don’t turn the lights on that are flickering

Can you be a bit more specific as to what is sparking and where you are seeing the spark? E.g. inside the switch visible around the rocker.

Who moved the switches?

How were they moved and were any connections hidden in the walls or ceiling?

Sounds like a poorly made off joint somewhere.

In the video it looks like the light is flashing in the background not the switch flashing ?

Hi I’m looking for some advice on a sparking light switch. This is only happening when the light switch is off. When it’s on there is no problem and the lights work fine

I have changed the light switch but this hasn’t helped
Is the lamp an LED? The flashes could be due to capacitive coupling in the cable rather than a faulty switch. If it is an LED and you have an old filament lamp that will fit, you could try that to see if the flashing stops.

Is the lamp an LED? The flashes could be due to capacitive coupling in the cable rather than a faulty switch. If it is an LED and you have an old filament lamp that will fit, you could try that to see if the flashing stops.
The video seemed to have a lot of arcing noises in it, suggesting the live and switch live wires are intermittently shorting.

The video seemed to have a lot of arcing noises in it, suggesting the live and switch live wires are intermittently shorting.
Fair enough, should have had sound on.

Reply to Light switch sparking only when off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock