Discuss light switch wiring - bottom landing light constantly on after new fitting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stephen Reece

Morning all.. I've replaced an old rose with a new spotlight fitting and light is constantly on... ...I've removed all red circuit words so just the live that goes to the light is connected...

The switch for this light has just 2wires.. Both are red.
.... How do I go about solving the light constantly on as there is no obvious switched live wire... And through testing each on.. Only one haves power to light ... But it isn't controlled by the switch..any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1446808426668.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 33
  • 1446808460853.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't take this as gospel, but looks like you have a double red twin cable (sorry, rereading your post you have already said you do) - that would be your switch wire I reckon, looks like you've connected your permanent live where your switch wire needs to be connected, and the remaining 3 reds tied together so the switch gets fed as well as the rest of the circuit.

As I said though, I'm just training so could be totally wrong with this so don't blame me if it goes bang haha.

(So yeah, take the return on the switch wire and put it where the current red is in the choc block, then the 3 remaining reds go together in the empty choc block bay)

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephen, I hope you have some electrical experience and isolated the circuit you are working on correctly. I think before you are given any more advice, you should confirm that.

Hi Steven, when admin' is back online you may be given DIY status and the thread relocated, if you are a trainee etc please let us know so we can title you correctly.

PS Welcome to the forum :D

Reply to light switch wiring - bottom landing light constantly on after new fitting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net