Discuss Light switch wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

midgetman

I have a confusing wiring. It's a 70s council house.

Hall way has two switches one single , one double.

The double and single switch the hallway light, however in both switches there are three wires red yellow blue. This two way switching works fine.

The double switch in hallway also switches the landing light (only upstairs light switch seems to work) .

The double switch downstairs has only one black and one red with a feed from the adjacent switch.

Upstairs on landing has red, yellow, blue.

Continuity from downstairs is black to blue upstairs. Red to yellow. The red upstairs is the switch live.
5ezupu7y.jpg

Hall way double switch

6use6a7a.jpg

Hallway single switch

u8enupuj.jpg

Landing switch.

Both ceiling roses only have 1 brown, 1 blue.
Downstairs Black is in l2 and red is in common with feed from adjacent switch.

Upstairs on landing yellow is in common. Red is in l2. Blue is in l1.

I have been told it worked before switches were replaced. My head is hurting. If you have any input that would be great. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
and why the blue sleeving?

Come on Tel! ... blue used to be a phase colour (Live) its been used to identify strappers and switch wires although not sure what it achieved except to mark up black as a Live/sw... think you need a slurp of coffee mate ;)

never seen blue on strappers. either red or left as they were in r.y.b.

Yeah. I can't see the point of labelling yellow/blue with red, however, now we have these stupid new colours, black could be confused for neutral so brown sleeving or brown trousers. Take your pick.

Reply to Light switch wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi everyone I've moved into a flat and I've decided to replace the original electric switches and sockets with white ones. I've done them all...
Replies
Views
Suggestions / solutions please anyone? I have a 2 way switch, Hall and Landing, power being fed on Landing. When the switch is turned on, the...
Replies
Views
Strange on this, we are wiring an extension at the moment and I would like to 3 way the (currently 2 way) landing switch to the new bedroom so...
Replies
Views
Hi I am trying to replace my old white light switches for nice chrome ones but the wires are all red but the new switch has only l1 l2 top and...
Replies
Views
I threw away an old knackered light switch and now need to replace it. It had 4 terminals (L1, L2, L3, L4) and is fed by two blue and two red...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock