Discuss Light switches question. Only very quick! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mikey

Bedroom had two light switches. One by the door and a pull cord by the bed.

I've taken out the wires attached to the pull cord one and obviously now the light doesn't switch work. I only want the switch by the door.

Inside was 3 red and a double earth (accached pictures).

How do I wire it in the junction?

Thank a lot guys.

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

I assume that you are going to put the connections into an enclosure or use a suitable J.B securing the cables aren't you ?.And I don't mean a margarine tube like in doggy rouges gallery pictures.

I suspect you have the live supply in at the wall switch which then loops to another lighting point and the supply to the light at the old pull cord switch so as said in #11 it can be easily resolved.

Last edited:
not convinced I can carry on with advice then sorry I'm out.
IT WAS A JOKE ANT, you're a man of the world, you must have seen what some people do with their house electrics, as long as it works that's all some folk want, all this chap want's is his light to work the chances of him visiting Screwfix for the right JB etc are very slim, leave it for some poor unsuspecting spark to find and the deny all knowledge of it, I've see it quite a few times, as I suspect you have.

It looks like two way two wire lighting with singles, it really needs the cabling rewiring to allow one way switching.
So long as you turn off the power and test with a voltage indicator that the power is off at all points then move the wires in the L1 and L2 terminals on the other switch into the L1 terminal and then joining all the pictured reds and separately joining the earths at the junction box you will be installing it would work as a one way switch.
If you are unsure in any way and wish to get it working right then call a professional.
Welcome to the forum!
Always ensure you know what you are doing before starting work.

IT WAS A JOKE ANT, you're a man of the world, you must have seen what some people do with their house electrics, as long as it works that's all some folk want, all this chap want's is his light to work the chances of him visiting Screwfix for the right JB etc are very slim, leave it for some poor unsuspecting spark to find and the deny all knowledge of it, I've see it quite a few times, as I suspect you have.
This is been my point all away along if it was gas would not dream of touching it.

I suspect if you join all three reds together and put both wires at the lower terminals into the same one it will function.
Richard beat me to it.

This is been my point all away along if it was gas would not dream of touching it.

Reply to Light switches question. Only very quick! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net