Discuss Lightbulb madness in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jim_jimmy

Went to a job last week with the client having a problem with her lights blowing. Thinking it would be a simple fault somewhere on the circuit off i went with my tester and knocked on the door. When i got there, no fault anywhere, however she goes through about 40 lamps/bulbs every month! Any idea why this is happening? Confusing me!

Cheers.

Is it the one lighting circuit only and is it the same bulb each time or anywhere on the circuit

Chris

Some are spots but most are pendants/chands. They say they have changed suppliers of the bulbs several times to no avail. The inline dimmers on the bedside lamps all went as well which lends me to the high voltage idea, never seen it before though! And whilst i was there testing the voltage was not excessivley high.

Every lighting circuit in the house. It's just random which ones will blow. Even plugged in lamps blow...

Last edited by a moderator:
Spots have tended to have lower life spans since the introduction of fire resistant fittings, mainly because the heat from the lamps cant dissapate so well. As far as pendants go I can only think it might be better if they tried lower wattage lamps, or even better quality commercial application lamps which have a longer life span and are rated in hours. It could even be down to there usage habits on off on off tends to put more punishment on the filament due to warm up and cool down along with inductive surge, every time they switch on. If the voltage is ok and to be fair it usally is from the suppliers side I can't really think where else you can go.
There are some clever sparkies on this site though so keep checking.:)

Hi

Is the property near a local transformer of near factories as surges in the power supply could be causing this problem, SPDs aren't that expensive these days. And could save you a fortune on sensitive equipment.

regards

Rather near a train station, but no factories.Can you now get surge protection devices that could mount on the din rail in the consumer unit?

Any form of vibration WILL shorten the life of filament lamps.

If the property is remotely near a train track or even a main road with buses and trucks thundering past, then this would be the most likely cause.

Hi Jim

The best way to tell is to ask the electrical supplier to provide an event recorder, if you tell them you are Concerned about your supply, they may do this free of charge. Is there gas supply in the street as having no gas in the street can cause surges in the supply.

Jason my misses uses a lot of vibrating equipment, like tumble dryer and electric tooth brush ect and our lamps are fine....

regards

hi there

we had this once see what the neutreal is pulling you may be surprised we got 57 amps |

next door lost there nuetral !

could also be transient voltage from the lighting transformers

have a poke around usually insulation breaking down

cheers

hi there

we had this once see what the neutreal is pulling you may be surprised we got 57 amps |

next door lost there nuetral !

could also be transient voltage from the lighting transformers

have a poke around usually insulation breaking down

cheers

he has quoted "i went with my tester and knocked on the door. When i got there, no fault anywhere" which tell us this may be external to the installation....

just my observation after reading the post could be wrong..

regards

My dad's house used to go through a lot of bulbs (not 40 a month though, blimey!!). After years of this happening it got worse and the YEB found a bad joint under the pavement outside next doors house. Presumably loose neutral as per the previous post. Don't know if this helps? Daz

SNAP. About a year ago I was called to a similar problem. The owners were going through about 30 – 40 lamps per month. I went through all the usual stuff of suggesting better quality lamps, but they had already done that and it didn’t work so they went back to the el cheepo B&Q lamps, I tested the circuit, tested the neutrals etc etc etc checked the voltage time and time again on each occasion it was fine. Anyway I ended up fitting a voltage recorder and leaving it for 2 weeks. When I looked at the results it showed regular voltage dips to around 138 and peaks to around 275. After a lot of messing around I discovered there was a sewage pumping station around 50 meters away and when the pump started and stopped the voltage dipped them peaked when it stopped. Problem found…but still not sorted.

Ian

Reply to Lightbulb madness in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock