Discuss Lighting advice needed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Blacky57

DIY
Reaction score
Trying to replace light fitting that was previously removed before I saw it, works off 2 switches either side of room.. permanent live seems to be middle cable.. I know one links to upstairs circuit .. can only get permsnt live not switching.. can’t get my head around it
HelpIMG_7510.jpeg

Is the cable on the right a single-and-earth? Is there another black there been cut off?

There are so many ways lighting circuits can be wired, it’s a total shot in the dark (pardon the pun) to guess what is what.

Are there other lights in the house not working while this fitting is down?

Is the cable on the right a single-and-earth? Is there another black there been cut off?

There are so many ways lighting circuits can be wired, it’s a total shot in the dark (pardon the pun) to guess what is what.

Are there other lights in the house not working while this fitting is down?
Yes it’s a single and earth only which I think is what’s throwing me.. as per pic no lights upstairs work, but I’ve joined the two reds ( the ones that have the black in ) and the upstairs is ok so that left on pic must be feed to upstairs, it’s like there is a canoe missing but it’s not a new re wire so obviously worked previously

so the red and blacks connected are live, neutral feeding here, and then to upstairs?
That only leaves the single red not connected? That must be the switch wire.... thats all that is left.

Can you test between the single red, and the blacks to see if it changes on to off when the switches are operated?

If so, then it looks to me that the blacks are indeed neutral, goes to N of your light fitting.... the single red which needs to be tested is the switch wire and would go to L on the fitting. The bare earths, with sleeving all go together and be connected to the earth terminal of the fitting if there is one... if not, just all connected together.
The two reds that are permanent live are connected together but are not connected to the light fitting in any way... just a floating bit of connector.

Depending on the space within the new fitting, you might need to make connections away from the fittings own terminals, and run a single pig tail from these connections to L and N

so the red and blacks connected are live, neutral feeding here, and then to upstairs?
That only leaves the single red not connected? That must be the switch wire.... thats all that is left.

Can you test between the single red, and the blacks to see if it changes on to off when the switches are operated?

If so, then it looks to me that the blacks are indeed neutral, goes to N of your light fitting.... the single red which needs to be tested is the switch wire and would go to L on the fitting. The bare earths, with sleeving all go together and be connected to the earth terminal of the fitting if there is one... if not, just all connected together.
The two reds that are permanent live are connected together but are not connected to the light fitting in any way... just a floating bit of connector.

Depending on the space within the new fitting, you might need to make connections away from the fittings own terminals, and run a single pig tail from these connections to L and N
That makes sense on paper. I’ll test it when home later.. thank you

Glad I could help. Turned out easier than expected.

Lighting can be a headache sometimes with all the cables…. new and old colours… extra lights spurred off…. Extract fans or sensors tapped off…. And of course a colour that everyone expects to be a neutral actually being the switched live. (Should be identified, rarely is)

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Lighting advice needed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net