Discuss Lighting and Sockets on same feed in House extension in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimma22

EF Member
Hello all, has anyone come across lighting and sockets on same feed, basically a house has been extended, and from the CU it goes out in 2.5mm2 and in the loft it looks like junction boxes have been used to feed the lights in 1.5mm2 instead of laying on a separate feed for lighting. How rough is this.

johnboy6083

Band Member
i would say that as long as the maximum load on the 1.5 cable doesnt go above its current carrying capacity, then its ok. Its definately not the way i would install it, but technically theres nothing wrong with it from a bs7671 point of view, apart from maybe division of circuits to avoid inconvenience

johnboy6083

Band Member
the crux of my point above, is that overload protection is not required iof a load is fixed. A lighting load will be fixed. always assume the worst case regarding lamp sizes though, ie 100W pendants, 50W GU10's

OP
J

jimma22

EF Member
Yeah you would have to label up the 32amp breaker Lts and skts at the moment it just says sockets.

needasparks

Electrician's Arms
Had this a few times with extensions and conservatories, normally found the lights were from a fused spur from the extended ring

OP
J

jimma22

EF Member
i don't think there is a fused spur on this, cant find one, to me it seems a bit amateur.

needasparks

Electrician's Arms
Don't think any of us are shocked anymore by what we find sometimes, just when you think you have seen the worst job ever another corker rears its head. If nothing else it keeps us all talking in the wholesalers.

OP
J

jimma22

EF Member
Looking at it today though it looks like the ring main is feeding 5 lights in total. i would of thought at the time of the extension it would of been easier to put a separate feed for the lights in anyway.

needasparks

Electrician's Arms
You have not said what your job is at this site, are you there to correct this or do something else. what are you going to do about this find ?

OP
J

jimma22

EF Member
Just a job to change a light fitting in the hallway when i went to turn the lighting circuit off the light stayed on, so checked the other breakers and turned off the 32amp breaker, and the lights just went off in the extended part of the house.

Farmelectrics

Farmelectrics
Electrician's Arms
Obviously not an electrician you might not be breaking any reqs but it's basic stuff to me sockets and lighting are separate circuits end of

S

shocking_eg

fit a FCU fused at 5A in the loft where the 1.5mm connects to the 2.5mm - simples :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • Black

Votes: 33 34.0%

Electrician Talk