Discuss Lighting and Sockets on same feed in House extension in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jimma22

Hello all, has anyone come across lighting and sockets on same feed, basically a house has been extended, and from the CU it goes out in 2.5mm2 and in the loft it looks like junction boxes have been used to feed the lights in 1.5mm2 instead of laying on a separate feed for lighting. How rough is this.

i would say that as long as the maximum load on the 1.5 cable doesnt go above its current carrying capacity, then its ok. Its definately not the way i would install it, but technically theres nothing wrong with it from a bs7671 point of view, apart from maybe division of circuits to avoid inconvenience

the crux of my point above, is that overload protection is not required iof a load is fixed. A lighting load will be fixed. always assume the worst case regarding lamp sizes though, ie 100W pendants, 50W GU10's

Yeah you would have to label up the 32amp breaker Lts and skts at the moment it just says sockets.

Don't think any of us are shocked anymore by what we find sometimes, just when you think you have seen the worst job ever another corker rears its head. If nothing else it keeps us all talking in the wholesalers.

Looking at it today though it looks like the ring main is feeding 5 lights in total. i would of thought at the time of the extension it would of been easier to put a separate feed for the lights in anyway.

You have not said what your job is at this site, are you there to correct this or do something else. what are you going to do about this find ?

Just a job to change a light fitting in the hallway when i went to turn the lighting circuit off the light stayed on, so checked the other breakers and turned off the 32amp breaker, and the lights just went off in the extended part of the house.

For a lighting circuit incorporating B15 B22 E14 E27 or E40 lampholders maximum 16 amp

Reply to Lighting and Sockets on same feed in House extension in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock