Discuss Lighting circuit additions in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pencilpusher

Have I got this right?; If adding a couple of lighting points to an exisiting circuit and the fuse board contains rewireable fuses, I need to provide RCD protection because of the addition (cables not more than 50mm deep). New CU or seperate RCD unit for that circuit? Just trying clear something up please. Thanks, PP

Last edited by a moderator:
is any of the new work in a bathroom. ? if so then the whole circuit needs to be on RCD. then you may have to consider other circuits in the special location.

yes it will if cables are <50mm deep etc. but as long as it's not a special location, then you can rcd just the bit you have installed.

if i were doing it, i would fit an 30mA, 30A RCD and a 6A MCB in a garage board adjacent to the CU, divert the circuit to that and feed it from a 15A 3036 in the old CU, using 2.5mm. then the whole lighting circuit would be RCD protected. alternatively, you could fit a RCD FCU ( 3A fuse ) in a convenient location at the beginning of your new work

Last edited:

Reply to Lighting circuit additions in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

As I've mainly done site work and moved into domestic recently, I'm a bit rusty on stuff like this, but if I'm adding a loft PIV unit to an...
Replies
Views
When doing an EIC for an additional circuit (which only covers that circuit), does the 'main switch/switch-fuse/circuit-breaker/RCD' section refer...
Replies
Views
Hi all, First post here, hope I'm compliant with the rules! I did do a quick search before asking this, but I couldn't quite come up with the...
Replies
Views
Firstly, please go easy as I'm still a trainee! Working on my L3 2365 I'm having trouble understanding the rationale behind adiabatics...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am looking for some advice regarding old rewireable (3036) fuse boards in regards to additions and alterations. I am an electrician and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock