Discuss Lighting circuit, alternative to the old junction boxes? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

solo2771

Hi all I was fitting a new cu to a house to use as part of my part p assessment and it has ended up as there was no cpc on the lighting circuits I am having to rewire all the lights and install bonding ect. as this is going to be used for assessment I was wondering if there is a better way than junction boxes all over the place? I was wondering about a single large junction box per floor so conections are easy to get at? also had the normal shared Neutral.
Thanks in advance
Paul

would advise no need for any JBs on lights. loop L/N thru all fittings, drop a switch wire from each. 3 core between 2 way switches. all connections accessible.

thats what i wanted to do but due to having to do rewire without chasing out as house just been done up and tight cable runs have had to do in shorter lengths.

You don't have to rewire the lighting circuit if it has class 2 fittings. You have to put warning sticker on cu. There's guidance look up consumer unit change with no earth on lighting. I'm sure you'll find it mate Hth

not sure i like that idea, who looks at cu before purchasing a nice shiny fitting?

I agree but it is allowed. Put on a sticker and explain it to the home owner.
Note that strictly this means no metal anywhere ie screws holding on the switch face plates need to be well recessed or covered with plastic covers (like the GET switches) or plastic inserts in the backboxes.

similar one, not quite. i have a small job to do, replace old bathroom light with 4 IPX4 halogen downlights. no RCD on the install, customer refuses my offer of fitting RCD or RCBOs. should i walk away as it's onlt a fitting replacement?

you dont have to rewire as the lads have said but i have you seen if the cables will move in the capping the older cables were alot thicker than the new ones , and if you lucky you may be able to pull up a new cable through the capping , how to find out is remove the light switch es and gently push the wire back into the capping if it moves freely then you stand a chance of getting the cable up with no or very little damage worth a try , but dont pust the wire so far up that you cant pull it out again it only needs to move and inch or so and youll know

Reply to Lighting circuit, alternative to the old junction boxes? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock