Discuss Lighting circuit fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been doing first fix for bathroom (spotlights, towel heater, underfloor heating, fan, shaver socket). Fuseboard is quite old no RCD, I've convinced costumer to upgrade it. During my work I've checked voltage in bathroom light circuit and I had this: L to N 240v, L to E 60v, N to E 60v.
I haven't done insulation resistance yet, will do it in the next couple of days before board installation. I've checked voltage in living room lights and had similar readings just with voltage a bit higher L to E. Voltage readings at consumer unit are OK.
I though if anyone experienced the same and maybe I can save time for my fault finding by indicating what it could be?
Thanks

I've been doing first fix for bathroom (spotlights, towel heater, underfloor heating, fan, shaver socket). Fuseboard is quite old no RCD, I've convinced costumer to upgrade it. During my work I've checked voltage in bathroom light circuit and I had this: L to N 240v, L to E 60v, N to E 60v.
I haven't done insulation resistance yet, will do it in the next couple of days before board installation. I've checked voltage in living room lights and had similar readings just with voltage a bit higher L to E. Voltage readings at consumer unit are OK.
I though if anyone experienced the same and maybe I can save time for my fault finding by
If can't sort it then get some body else to do it, having read this post any thing in the bathroom might need rcd, under floor, lights. heating, have read the regs?

As already said, probably a floating CPC (i.e. not connected somewhere it should be at a junction box, light fitting, or switch). Trying a Zs test or using a meter & wander lead back to the CU/MET will show if it is connected. A voltage test with a typical multimeter can read strange things on an open line as the high input impedance means only a small amount of capacitance will give you are reading of sorts.

If it is connected then stranger things are afoot, and not just an odd shaped thing on the end of your leg.

If can't sort it then get some body else to do it, having read this post any thing in the bathroom might need rcd, under floor, lights. heating, have read the regs?
Yeah, I am aware of that, this is why I insisted to upgrade the board when I've met the client personally. Initially it was the 1st fix job asked by builders who changing things in bathroom, over the phone I've been told that property is "probably" rcd protected, obviously it wasn't when I went there.

Yeah, I am aware of that, this is why I insisted to upgrade the board when I've met the client personally. Initially it was the 1st fix job asked by builders who changing things in bathroom, over the phone I've been told that property is "probably" rcd protected, obviously it wasn't when I went there.
Any work carried out by you will be liable.
Before any work carried out the client must be told. And the first fix was done.

As already said, probably a floating CPC (i.e. not connected somewhere it should be at a junction box, light fitting, or switch). Trying a Zs test or using a meter & wander lead back to the CU/MET will show if it is connected. A voltage test with a typical multimeter can read strange things on an open line as the high input impedance means only a small amount of capacitance will give you are reading of sorts.

If it is connected then stranger things are afoot, and not just an odd shaped thing on the end of your leg.
Will certainly do R1+R2 test for continuity as well, i thought so it might be loose connection somewhere, lots of spotlights and wall lights on one light circuit
Thanks
[automerge]1591562505[/automerge]
Any work carried out by you will be liable.
Before any work carried out the client must be told. And the first fix was done.
Client was aware about 1st fix

So did you not tell them, IMO the builder should be told if you are contract to them. Or was it take pot luck.
So did you not tell them, IMO the builder should be told if you are contract to them. Or was it take pot luck.
I repeat, client was aware, meaning he was told about work to be done. All parties in agreement and in the good spirit. The issue will be resolved.

Reply to Lighting circuit fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net