Discuss Lighting circuit for added storey in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dumkopf

DIY
Reaction score
I am adding an upper storey to my existing two storey house. It would certainly make sense to put the additional lighting circuit on its own mcb at the CU but is that a Part P requirement?

not a part p requrement, but BS7671 has a reg.( forget the no.) about division of curcuits to minimise danger/inconvenience when 1 circuit fails, so it would be the better option to have both lights and sockets for the new floor eachon their own circuit.

not a part p requrement, but BS7671 has a reg.( forget the no.) about division of curcuits to minimise danger/inconvenience when 1 circuit fails, so it would be the better option to have both lights and sockets for the new floor eachon their own circuit.
Many thanks telectrix. Much obliged to you.

part p compliance should be achieved through his biulding contol for the build. BC can inspect electrical work as part of the project.

as i read the OP. he's asking if it's a requirement to put lights on a new circuit or not. ifhe does, new circuits fall under part p. if he doesn't, he falls foul of the division of circuits reg, up to a point. if ground floor lights and 1st floor lights are on separate circuits, it 's not a crime to add 2nd floor lights to 1st floor light circuit.. (he'll need to watch out for low flying aircraft though. o_O o_O o_O ).

I understood that "but is that a part P requirement?" was referring to whether the new floor lighting should have its own circuit, or a separate circuit. It was nothing to do with whether it is notifiable or not.

part p compliance should be achieved through his biulding contol for the build. BC can inspect electrical work as part of the project.

Part P wouldn't be an issue if just extending existing circuits into a new build extension, only if installing a new circuit(s) from the CU.
[automerge]1577617607[/automerge]
I understood that "but is that a part P requirement?" was referring to whether the new floor lighting should have its own circuit, or a separate circuit. It was nothing to do with whether it is notifiable or not.

I guess we all interpret the questions differently when not exactly very clear in the OP's question.

My interpretation of the Op's question is;

'If I put in a new lighting circuit for the new storey, is that subject to notification under Part P'?

Which of course would be yes but I see the view others are taking which is also correct in that it is NOT a requirement of Part P to put in a new circuit!
Perhaps I'm reading too much into it!

My interpretation of the Op's question is;

'If I put in a new lighting circuit for the new storey, is that subject to notification under Part P'?

Which of course would be yes but I see the view others are taking which is also correct in that it is NOT a requirement of Part P to put in a new circuit!
Perhaps I'm reading too much into it!

How on earth did you get that from the OP's question?
There is no mention of notification, no mention of if,

Yes I think you are reading too much into it, you're guessing at what might be the motivation behind the question, or what the next question might be rather than just reading what is written in black and white in front of you.

@Dumkopf
As well as the lighting question, are you aware that, when you make your house 3-storey, you will need to install interlinked smoke alarms on all storeys of the house?
I guess you have a building notice for this work? You need to make sure this sort of thing is covered, or your friendly Building Control operative will be less than friendly.

How on earth did you get that from the OP's question?

As I said we all have our own interpretations of an Op's question!
Perhaps I should have said NO its not a requirement of Part P
BUT
If you (Dumkopf) go for the new circuit option, notification under Part P is required!

@Dumkopf
As well as the lighting question, are you aware that, when you make your house 3-storey, you will need to install interlinked smoke alarms on all storeys of the house?
I guess you have a building notice for this work? You need to make sure this sort of thing is covered, or your friendly Building Control operative will be less than friendly.
Hello All, I'm very grateful to you for your attention.
Apologies if my question was unclear. I think that telectrix interpreted it correctly. I know that the new circuit is notifiable. I just didn't know if it required to be on a separate fuse for Part P compliance.
Yes, I did know that the smoke alarms must be interlinked, but thanks anyway.

Part Pee doesn't require you to do anything

Its up to you what you install , Part Pee only comes into play if you add new wiring and don't have it signed off

There are several ways to achieve this

Use a Part Pee domestic sparks
Use a Part Pee 3rd party
Pay the BC to do your Part Pee

Only applies if you need new wiring , if you just modify the existing then non of the above matters

Its up to you what you install , Part Pee only comes into play if you add new wiring and don't have it signed off

There are several ways to achieve this

Use a Part Pee domestic sparks
Use a Part Pee 3rd party
Pay the BC to do your Part Pee

Only applies if you need new wiring , if you just modify the existing then non of the above matters
I can now see why you were confused by my question; if I'd used the word "wiring" instead of "circuit" I'm sure it would have been clearer. Thanks again for all your advice.

Wrong.
Part P applies to all electrical work.
The legislation says this
Lighting circuit for added storey 7369817A-BBDB-486D-B182-63E14CDAF303 - EletriciansForums.net
and you’d want all of the electrical work to comply with that!
the APPROVED DOCUMENT, however, is guide (not law) on how one can comply with the Statute.
the APPROVED DOCUMENT basically recommends that a way is that you comply with wiring regulations (BS7671). It also details certain works that the Local Authorities would like to know about (notify).
And there’s a load of fluff about how that works.

Wrong.
Part P applies to all electrical work.
The legislation says this
View attachment 54913
and you’d want all of the electrical work to comply with that!
the APPROVED DOCUMENT, however, is guide (not law) on how one can comply with the Statute.
the APPROVED DOCUMENT basically recommends that a way is that you comply with wiring regulations (BS7671). It also details certain works that the Local Authorities would like to know about (notify).
And there’s a load of fluff about how that works.

Yes but it doesn't tell you how to install (new or modify) and tell you how to do to comply

There are various ways to wire any extension and various way to comply (if req)

Reply to Lighting circuit for added storey in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock