Discuss Lighting circuit from ring main in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It is permissible with certain things taken into consideration. A job for an electrician really as the work should be fully tested and a certificate produced.

You're not actually creating a circuit at all - you are simply incorporating lighting into the existing circuit. (Unless you want to argue that the presence of a BS1362 fuse constitutes a new circuit, although most would reject that claim.)

I would take andy78 advice .you are not insured to play with your own electrics .
ring you insurance company and hear what they have to say.
According to my insurance company they won't
You're not actually creating a circuit at all - you are simply incorporating lighting into the existing circuit. (Unless you want to argue that the presence of a BS1362 fuse constitutes a new circuit, although most would reject that claim.)
I see what you mean, thanks

What equipment do you need for doing the testing?

An approved voltage tester
Insulation resistance and Continuity tester
Pfc and earth loop impedance tester
Rcd tester

The usual Diy tester is one of those neon screwdriver things :)
Its about £200 each for most of the above,as a ball park figure.You could also get a meter with lots more multi function capabilities for the various tests,however, they are anywhere from £600-£800 ish

An approved voltage tester
Insulation resistance and Continuity tester
Pfc and earth loop impedance tester
Rcd tester

The usual Diy tester is one of those neon screwdriver things :)
Its about £200 each for most of the above,as a ball park figure.You could also get a meter with lots more multi function capabilities for the various tests,however, they are anywhere from £600-£800 ish
I better start saving my pennies

Must say that's a bit harsh even a professional can't do work.
Some insurance companies have that policy. I think it's because i'am doing it up and not always here, other insurance companies set a financial limit. They ask what you plan to do to a house and how much it will cost, if it's over a certain amount they will not insure you. One insurance company wouldn't insure the house because I said I was planning to change the kitchen. It's a minefield you've got to ask questions and read the small print.

Some insurance companies have that policy. I think it's because i'am doing it up and not always here, other insurance companies set a financial limit. They ask what you plan to do to a house and how much it will cost, if it's over a certain amount they will not insure you. One insurance company wouldn't insure the house because I said I was planning to change the kitchen. It's a minefield you've got to ask questions and read the small print.

So your insurance company says that if you get professionals to maintain or alter anything in your property this will void your insurance ?
If that is true it's time to get new insurers.

So your insurance company says that if you get professionals to maintain or alter anything in your property this will void your insurance ?
If that is true it's time to get new insurers.
After contacting ten or fifteen companies I found one with a more realistic attitude to house renovation and they got my money.

Reply to Lighting circuit from ring main in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net