Discuss Lighting circuit issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, just after some advice. Went to a job today with the description that one rcd on a dual board has tripped and when closed trips instantly, the customer was watching TV at night and all of a sudden the lights and sockets went under normal running conditions. I arrived today and the rcd, the lights(whole house as it's a bungalow) and the sockets had tripped. I flicked the sockets and the light back on and the rcd tripped I left the lighting circuit off and now the sockets and the rcd are working. I Removed all the bulbs and the rcd still tripped. Normally I would assume a borrowed neutral but as this was working perfectly fine up until last night I'm a little stumped, could this be a possible transformer fault on the spotlights? I have been in the loft and the wiring actually looks pretty good.
Cheers for any advice

No tests at all yet Lee, as my tester is being calibrated, I'm back Friday morning, tester an all. Just thought I'd ask the question and get a point in the right direction.

If there are 12v down lights my money is on burnt cables and/or transformers!

what you describe is a classic sign of this

or DIYer putting nails, screws or holes through cables!

Yes in the bathroom there 12v down lights Murdock, I've never come across a transformer failing could this cause a live to earth fault? And is it a common fault?
Cheers for the reply

Yes in the bathroom there 12v down lights Murdock, I've never come across a transformer failing could this cause a live to earth fault? And is it a common fault?
Cheers for the reply

It would be unusual for a lighting transformer to cause a live to earth fault (and therefore RCD tripping) as they're not normally earthed.

Try locating the switch circuit to narrow the fault down.....for starters, of course.

Cheers for the reply

Really??

Lighting circuit issue Burnt light cables - EletriciansForums.net

This one, the cable was so damaged by the heat, the live was in contact with the earth!

if the rcd holds with just the lighting mcb off, then it looks like a l-e fault on the lights. look for a picture hung above a switch for starters.

Lighting circuit issue 20160229_092731 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi guys bit late but thought I'd follow upi found the fault on a switch feed for an outside light, but on investigation there were no nails that had pierced the cable, so just for my own satisfaction what could of caused the cable to burn out so far down the cable?
Cheers

cable could have been trapped and squashed or damaged on installation. good to hear you found the fault.

Reply to Lighting circuit issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock