Discuss Lighting circuit - no CPC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

smity

-
Reaction score
Alrite lads,

I'm a commercial spark so don't do much domestic but a mate of mine asked me to Pop round and change a light fitting in his kitchen 5 min job, he had an old 6ft fluorescent which was shot and he has brought a new class 1 fitting.

I remove the fitting and there's no CPC so I checked at the old wylex board and the downstairs lighting has no CPC at all and there's also no RCD present so this is now more than a 5 min job.

I have told him to get a class 2 fitting for the kitchen and advised an RCD/New board but I also think he has some other class 1 fittings which are potentially dangerous (wall lights etc)

So other than remove the class 1 fittings or rewire the circuit is there anything else that can be done?

Thanks

think you have answered the question. either install cpc's to lighting or fit classII fittings (and switches)

Thanks, Yeah though that but thought I would check incase there was anything else.

Where do I stand on swapping kitchen fitting for class 2 then advising on the remaining work that needs doing if he doesn't have it done? I won't be leaving the circuit more dangerous than it is but not happy that it's potentially dangerous.

And technically I can't change the CU for him as I'm not part p :-(

Fit a class 2 fitting and note on a MWC lack of CPC on circuit.

As for DB and part P notification search for a prosecution for failure to notify then see what you think of it.

Just another little point,how old is the property? What type of cables are used? I have visited several built in the 60's that were wired in t&e,but had the CPC cut back at every fitting. Cables in good order,IR fine,just required diggin' and extendin' ...

Looks like pvc twin with no earth, I managed to pull about 12 inches through and stripped back but still no earth. Not sure on age of the property.

Thanks, Yeah though that but thought I would check incase there was anything else.

Where do I stand on swapping kitchen fitting for class 2 then advising on the remaining work that needs doing if he doesn't have it done? I won't be leaving the circuit more dangerous than it is but not happy that it's potentially dangerous.

And technically I can't change the CU for him as I'm not part p :-(

What a load of genitalia, course you can change a CU Part P is a building reg, no one can be part P

i can't think of anything pointles or offensive to say so i'll keep schtum.

Reply to Lighting circuit - no CPC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net