Discuss Lighting Circuit Pop in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

ironside82

Hi,

I wonder if someone could give me some help and advice.

The lighting circuit in my flat keeps blowing, I hear a loud poping sound (location I have yet to determine) and the lights go out.

This has happened twice, first on Saturday, replaced the fuse and all was good. 4 Days later the same sound and the lights went again.

I'm guessing this is a short somewhere, however I've checked inside all the light sockets in the ceiling and the switches and given them all a good wiggle but I cannot get them to blow by doing this.

The wiring is quite old and the fuse box is the older style wire wound setup.

I find it slightly odd that there were 4 days between the two blow outs, I would have though it there was a short somewhere that this would happen again immediately after replacing the fuse?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

James

It is not a good idea to keep replacing a fuse that keeps blowing,there is clearly a fault and sometimes after several fuses the fault can clear,literally blown clear by the surging caused by several fuse changes. If there are no clues as to where the fault is...(.ie if it happens when you switch a certain light on)....you MUST get the circuit checked by a competant electrician as the fault will still be present or additional damage caused by continued fuse changes.

It can prove a pain in the arse to find unless you can narrow down the popping sound location but would suggest an insulation test be performed on the lighting circuit affected.

Reply to Lighting Circuit Pop in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net