Discuss Lighting circuit problem in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kes123

Hi. Lighting circuit problem. There is 230volts at the lighting fixture but at the switch
there is 6 volts. Now that is some kind of voltage drop.
I will run continuity test, isulation and earthing test tomorow.
just wondered if it was something someone has come across before.

i would suspect a bad connection, sometimes conductor can be broken within the insulation, turn power off and give them a firm 'tug', a continuity test will point you in the right direction

All the other lights in the house work fine. No loose connections. I have a feeling that it is somekind of earth leakage. Its the 6 volts thing that baffles me

Hi it worries me because there seems to be no way of turning the light on and off. Its my own house and I have not drilled through any cables or anything like that. But now this light wont work. There is 240v at light but only 6 at switch. But it used to work fine and every other light works ok.

Hi I did a long lead continuity test on the light fitting on the live. It read o.35ohms. But for some reason its not controlled by the switch anymore.
Will do full set of tests in morning because it will get dark soon

I had same a few years ago found out a rat had bitten through cable and it killed rat as was still had teeth buried in cable
"any one for cooked rat lol"
Dave

its most likly to be a failed joint at the ceiling rose the 6 volts you are getting is probably induced voltage in the cabling start at the ceiling rose check the connections then check the continuity of the switch wires , remove from the rose switch the switch on and sest across the wires see if there is continuity , but i put my money on a broken or loose wire in the rose .

Nick

Reply to Lighting circuit problem in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net