Discuss Lighting Circuit Problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chloebear

Hi All,

Just returned from trying to locate an issue with an upstairs lighting circuit -

with the circuit L/N/E disconnected from the board and breaker I get he following readings:-

(a) Type 2 Insulation Resistance Test = 49.7 taken at 250V
(b) Voltage reading on the (dead) circuit of 3.5V

when checking at one of the lighting outlets with the circuit connected & energised, but with the light switch turned off I get a voltage reading of 23.2V????

any ideas????????????

testing between L/N to get the 23V on a switched off circuit in a Class 2 housing

As Jackhammer said: It's induced ac pickup from parallel energised circuits & should'nt create any problems.
What was the original problem you were trying to find ?.

downstairs light switch on and upstairs circuit blowing the RCD more than likely lol

Hi All,

Just returned from trying to locate an issue with an upstairs lighting circuit -

with the circuit L/N/E disconnected from the board and breaker I get he following readings:-

(a) Type 2 Insulation Resistance Test = 49.7 taken at 250V
(b) Voltage reading on the (dead) circuit of 3.5V

when checking at one of the lighting outlets with the circuit connected & energised, but with the light switch turned off I get a voltage reading of 23.2V????

any ideas????????????

Whats the problem reported by the client?

Client wanted their earthing checking out as they have ben experiencing 'some strange'!!!! effects - Earthing tests out Ok - incoming PME & Bonding, but stumbled across this in the process.

Did you isolate the incoming supply to the whole dis board , and test each circuit in turn , not just isolate the lights only , give us some more info on the way you have tested the circuits,,,,

Was the 'strange effects' some CFL flashing occasionally?
Induced voltage. Some people still dont think it occurs. I had LED lamps in my kitchen, even when turned off there was a low glow from one of them.
I've been called out at least 3 times to look at flashing CFLs. I told them over the phone what it was, 2 of them still didnt beleive me.

Reply to Lighting Circuit Problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock