Discuss Lighting circuit - spur small load from that in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

ohit1

-
Reaction score
Attached are 2 photos. One is the wiring behind light switch. Other is wiring from that circuit (located above the cabinet).
As we can see: it's 3-core+earth.

Currently, the lights in the room work fine on/off with the light switch. If I connect a simple lamp holder to the wire above the cabinet then that bulb lights on/off with the on/off of the light switch.

What I want to try and achieve is connect a 3A fused spur from that lighting circuit. How do I correctly do the wiring behind the light switch so that the wiring above the cabinet is always live, but the existing lights of the room all operate with the switch?

Hope this makes sense, and thanks in advanced.

IMG_20181221_141334.jpg

IMG_20181221_141402.jpg

what do you want to feed, and why fit a FCU when the circuit will be protected by a 6A MCB?

what do you want to feed, and why fit a FCU when the circuit will be protected by a 6A MCB?
I want to feed a power socket, to run a small self-powered speaker (max power usage of the particular one is 25W).
So a 3A (three) fused spur to protect against anyone in the future who might plug-in something rated too high.

The rest of the lighting circuit is all LEDs everywhere and hardly uses anything total combined when I add up all the max powers - certainly well within 3A, i.e. total on that circuit won't exceed the MCB's rating.

sounds fine, unconventional, but can't see it contravening any regulation. as long as you don't fit a BS1363 socket. just wondering if the speaker comes fitted with a 13A plug/PSU.

sounds fine, unconventional, but can't see it contravening any regulation. as long as you don't fit a BS1363 socket. just wondering if the speaker comes fitted with a 13A plug/PSU.
Thanks. I won't.

Now, How do I correctly do the wiring behind the light switch so that the wiring above the cabinet is always live, but the existing lights of the room all operate with the switch?

from the pics, i think you need a spark to sort it. get it wrong and you could have a dangerous install.

from the pics, i think you need a spark to sort it. get it wrong and you could have a dangerous install.
I'd like to learn how it's possible. I am capable, and it won't be wired up all exposed like it is in the photos - that's just for reference of my specific situation.

So a 3A (three) fused spur to protect against anyone in the future who might plug-in something rated too high.
Still don't understand why the FCU?

No step by step guides are allowed on the forum, however theres loads of qualified guys on here who wouldn't charge the earth to sort it for you.
It's much safer to get it done correctly with the correct test gear.

Reply to Lighting circuit - spur small load from that in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net